Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Tennessee Williams Essay, Research Paper
Tennessee Williams was born Thomas Lanier Williams on March 26, 1911 in Columbus, Mississippi. As a child, he lived with his mother and grandfather. When he was fourteen, Williams too first place in an essay contest sponsored by a national magazine, The Smart Set. At the age of seventeen, his first published story appeared in the August 1928 issue of Weird Tales. A year later Williams entered the University of Missouri but in 1932 he withdrew and took a job at the shoe factory where his father held a job as a sales manager. In 1935 Williams returned to college and graduated from the University of Iowa in 1938. Williams had begun writing plays while attending the University of Missouri and after his graduation he had supported himself doing a variety of small jobs. In 1939 he won a national drama award for a group of plays called American Blues. Williams achieved his first great stage success with The Glass Menagerie, which was produced in New York City in 1945. This play won the New York Drama Critics’ Circle Prize as the years best play. Williams averaged two plays a year since that time. On February 4, 1983, Tennessee Williams died in New York City. Throughout Williams’ lifetime he has put forth more than twenty-five full-length plays, more than forty short plays, a dozen produced (and unproduced) screenplays and an opera libretto. These have been translated into at least twenty-seven languages, including Tamil, Welsh, Marathi and Hindi. In addition, there are two novels, a novella, more than sixty short stories, more than one hundred poems, an autobiography, a published volume of letters, introductions to plays and books by others, and occasional pieces and reviews.
Baby Doll & Tiger Tail
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof
Clothes for a Summer Hotel
The Glass Menagerie
A Lovely Sunday for Creve Coeur
The Read Devil Battery Sign
Small Craft Warnings
Stopped Rocking and Other Screenplays
A Streetcar Named Desire
Sweet Bird of Youth
THE THEATER OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS, VOLUME 1
Battle of Angels, A Streetcar Named Desire, The Glass Menagerie
THE THEATER OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS, VOLUME II
The Eccentricities of a Nightingale, Summer and Smoke, The Rose
Tattoo, Camino Real
THE THEATER OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS, VOLUME III
Cat on a Hot Tin Roof, Orpheus Descending, Suddenly Last Summer
THE THEATER OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS, VOLUME IV
Sweet Bird of Youth, Period of Adjustment, The Night of the guana
THE THEATER OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS, VOLUME V
The Milk Train Doesn’t Stop Here Anymore, Kingdom of Earth (The
Seven Descents of Myrtle), Small Craft Warnings, The Two-Character Play
THE THEATER OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS, VOLUME VI
27 Wagons Full of Cotton and Other Short Plays
THE THEATER OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS, VOLUME VII
In the Bar of a Tokyo Hotel and Other Plays
THE THEATER OF TENNESSEE WILLIAMS, VOLUME VIII
Vieux Carre, A Lovely Sunday for Creve Coeur, Clothes for a Summer
Hotel, The Red Devil Battery Sign
27 Wagons Full of Cotton and Other Plays
The Two-Character Play
Androgyne, Mon Amour
In the Winter of Cities
Hard Candy and Other Stories
One Arm and Other Stories
The Roman Spring of Mrs. Stone
Where I Live: Selected Essays
- Tennessee Williams Essay, Research Paper Tennessee Williams was born Thomas Lanier Williams March 26, ... the school of journalism. Tennessee Williams? career as a ... a hundred years. Bibliography 1. ?Williams, Tennessee. ?Britanica Online. Encyclopedia Britanica ...
- Thomas Lanier Williams Essay, Research Paper Tennessee Williams (1911 ? 1983) Thomas Lanier Williams was born on March ... and Night of the Iguana. Tennessee Williams met and fell in love ... . On February 24, 1983, Tennessee Williams choked to death on a bottle ...
- Themes Of Tennessee Williams Essay, Research Paper In the three plays by Tennessee Williams the Glass ... have a relation to Tennessee Williams’ life. When Tennessee was younger, there was ... clearly on paper and got his book published. Tennessee Williams related ...
- ... place in a national essay contest. Williams started college at the ... alcohol. February 24, 1983, Tennessee Williams choked to death on a bottle ... in his fathers footsteps. Each character in this play ... and how they dreamed. Each person with a different dream ...
- ... Glass Menagerie Essay, Research Paper Tennessee Williams? The Glass Menagerie Tennessee Williams is one the ... strong resemblance to Tennessee?s mother Edwina Williams. Williams described his ... is especially true for Tennessee Williams. Numerous people face the ...