Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
?Those Winter Sundays? Essay, Research Paper
Joshua Erd, Box 630
29 November 2000
Those Winter Sundays Review
The poem of ?Those Winter Sundays? has a very interesting and peculiar ending. The author of the poem leaves the ending open. By an open ending I mean the author ends the poem with a question. Since the poem ends in this fashion it makes it hard to interpret.
At the end of the poem it says ?What did I know, what did I know?. This is a hard line in the poem to understand. In a way the author is telling a story of his former child hood. The child hood of the author was a tough one. He was raised by a neighbor who loved him as their own. I am sure he had to ask him self if he knew what love was all about. Where are my parents and why are they not here to show me their love?
The author was setting a tone for the poem. He was taking what he knew about love in his own life and applying it to his poetry. He was looking back at his own life and saying what do I know about anything. On the other hand, the repeated phrase also sounds a note of defiance. The author may want to defend his child hood.
Johnson, Jeannine. An Overview of ?Those Winter Sundays?.
Poetry for Students 1997: Galenet.
Kentucky Christian Coll. Lib., Grayson.
29 Nov. 2000 http://www.gale.net/
Hayden, Robert. ?Those Winter Sundays?. An Introduction to
Literature. 12th ed. Ed, Sylvan Barnet et al.
New York: Longman, 2001. 920-921.
- Abraham Lincoln 3 Essay, Research Paper Abraham LincolnEvery boy and ... -to through the freezing winter, Thomas and Abe worked ... the furnishings for a bed. Joshua Speed, a storekeeper, recalled that ... On Sundays, while Mary was at church, Lincoln took the ...
- On Holocaust Essay, Research Paper Marie Syrkin While ... Reznikoff extracts only those concerned with the Jewish question. He ... ?) through abstract understanding. No wonder Reznikoff has never been a ... section called "Entertainment": On Sundays there was no work ...
- Slave Revolts Essay, Research Paper THE BLACK ... thought. When Europeans took thousands of Africans from ... were in church. Sundays were usually when most ... citizens had experienced a hard winter, lost their cattle, ... Other slaves such as Jack Bowler, John Scott, ...
- ... chose to research the priesthood. In my paper I will tell ... Priests celebrate Mass on Sundays and during the week ... they just redirect those feelings in other things ... Priests do often wonder about marriage and family ... God just like Jesus being celibate showed ...
- ... editor ofyoar school paper or to a ... you perceive for each. it Wisdom – ... take orare ot us. Complete the following starements: I.Iwonderiftnan .~I4Pt. t~~” A~Q!_41 2.I wander ... man? *Mt/rd jhaJ fljtaftCJWtvd boa~s4~zt4l ... ci-eotivc work a Sundays hike. scale genuine ...