Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
is in the London Borough of Enfield which is made up of a collection of small
communities, once scattered across the royal hunting grounds of Enfield
Chase.? These area are still separate
but within the London Borough of Enfield and are merged into one large area on
the northern edge of London.? Enfield
Lock, Enfield Wash and Enfield Highway are all situated along side the Lee
Navigation, to the south of Waltham Cross together with the districts of
Brimsdown and Ponders End.In 1855
Enfield Lock station (originally called Ordnance Factory) was opened.? This was followed in 1884 by Brimsdown
station.? The Southbury Loop line (1891)
gave the area another station, sited in Turkey Street. This was originally
known, somewhat misleadingly, as Forty Hill.??
However, this station lost its passenger service in 1909 as a direct
result of tramway competition.? The
Brimsdown Power Station opened in 1903. The cheap and plentiful electricity
supplies were to attract many other industries to the area.Brimsdown
is mainly an industrial area and Enfield town lies further west and is more
like a village, containing its own market square, and a parish church.? The New River also runs through Enfield
town. The town itself has grown far less attractive in recent years and has
become busier at the same time.? A
lottery grant of £1.8 million has been awarded to the area for cleaning,
restorations and safer pedestrian areas.The
name "Enfield" means an area of open land belonging to Eana.?? At the time of the Doomsday book it was
spelt Enefelde, and by Henry VIII’s reign had become a favourite hunting forest
for royalty.? This tradition continued
with James I who spent much of his time at nearby Theobolds Palace.BrimsdownBrimsdown
is an industrial area of Enfield and offers many business facilities.? It is also an area useful for shopping with
many large furnishing stores and a large clothing warehouse "The Brand
Centre", which stocks many well known designer labels at discount prices.Places
to visit in the area.Forty
Hall, built between 1629 and 1632 for Sir Nicholas Rainton, Lord Mayor of
London, is a splendid Jacobean mansion.??
Henry C.B. Bowles purchased Forty Hall in 1895 as a family home and it
remained so until 1951, when the Enfield Urban District Counci bought it.? Forty Hall is now used by the London Borough
of Enfield as a museum, art gallery and banqueting suite .Myddelton
(1865-1954) an enthusiastic collector and accomplished plantsman owned
Myddelton House and used it as his home.???
Bowles had a passionate interest in unusual varieties and rarities of
plants.?? He discovered and selected many
plants,? many of which can still be seen
in the house gardens today.? Bowles wrote
a famous trilogy at Myddelton House? ‘My
Garden in Spring’, ‘My Garden in Summer’ and ‘My Garden in Autumn and Winter’
and the house still attracts interest throughout the year.The
world’s first cash dispenser in EnfieldEnfield
had the world’s first cash dispenser installed on June 27th 1967 at Barclays
Bank, Church Street.?? It was opened by
the leading actor Reg Varney from a TV comedy series of the time called "
On the buses".
- Thailand: Political Culture Essay, Research Paper INTRODUCTION For us to be ... even in nations. This paper aims to study the particular ... of the community. Wide research has been done to resolve ... Karl Marx, Max Weber and Barrington Moore support this theory. ...
- Racism In The Police Essay, Research Paper I. Introduction and Thesis When Americans are ... Tom Bradely, a former police lieutenant (Bornstein 15). The investigation, conducted by ... minorities, women and homosexuals (Bornstein 16). The Commission also reported ...
- Frankenstein Essay, Research Paper The term Gothic ... stories into Gothic sublime (Bernstein 333). Specifically, the Gothic ... herself recalled in her introduction to Frankenstein, The season ... Gothic than that? BIBLIOGRAPHY Bernstein, Stephen. The Gothic Sublime ...
- Agression Essay, Research Paper Aggression is ... cooperation is the norm” (Bernstein page 715) Megargee (1966) ... Byrne, D, Social Psychology, Bernstein, D.A., et al International Student ... P, et al, Psychology An Introduction, Heath & Company 1973 Channel ...
- Cloning Essay, Research Paper CLONING: HAS SCIENCE GONE TOO FAR? INTRODUCTION For years ... of much greater importance. BIBLIOGRAPHY 1. Bernstein, Maurice M.D. “Cloning of Humans ... edu/ mbernste/ethics.cloninghumnas.html 3. Bernstein, Maurice M.D. “Topic 4: Poll ...