Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The male versus female power struggle between two character in "Etta
johnson," an excerpt from gloria naylor’s novel The Woman of brewster
place: A novel in seven stories illustrates the conflict of character’s
expectration. Both etta mae johnson and Rev. morelond woods want different
futeres for thier relationship. etta johnson is looking for a long term
relationship that involes marriage. Rev. woods want a "now and later
relationship that involves having sex now and possibly revisiting his partner
later without being committrd to that person. Rev. Moreland wood does have
totally different motives for their relationship. tta johnson is jobless and
looking for a man to take care of her. Etta friend Mattie adised her to meet a,
"man who’d be serious about settling down with you"(330) Mattie does
not feel that the preacher is a good candidate for marriage, but etta is content
with her efforts to cause the residents of Brewster to, "be humming a
different tune whe (she show up there the wife of a big preacher"(331) Etta
learns that she she is used for sex as power is not powerful enough to cause the
Rev. to want to marry her. Rev. woods is looking for something less committing
that marriage. woods is looking for a one time event and thinks of his encounter
with etta as agame. Rev. woods calls etta "worldy women"(333) and
commends her on her knowledge and "understanding the tempory weakness of
the flesh and don’t make it out to be something bigger than is" although
she does want more. Rev Mouland Woods does get what he wants from this
relationship, sex. Etta johnson is the loser of the power struggles and also of
her pride. After getting out of Rev. woods car, Etta stands on the corner in a
slumped position as the rev observers her in his rearview mirror this picture of
her, "caused him to press down onthe accelerator,"(333)illustrates his
fear of commitment. etta’s "broken spirit"(333) shower her
disappointment of not finding love, commitment and someone who cares for her.
Although the two character have different motives, they both gained something
from their experience. Rev. woods get what he is seeking , a sexual relationship
without commitment. Etta johnson does not get a proposal of marriage, but she
does get a reality check resulting inher knowledge of her fate. rev. woods is
the benefactor of this power struggle.
- ... Vs Etta Mae Essay, Research Paper The Women of Brewster Place by ... Mattie s life. A slick young fellow by the name of Butch Fuller ... an old woman known only by Miss Eva. Mattie spoiled her ... to go except Brewster Place. Etta Mae Johnson was a fast woman living ...
- ... "Objectivists" Anthology, edited by Zukofsky and published by To, Publishers, a loose consortium ... Gerhard M?nch’s violin adaptation of Janequin’s Chant des Oiseaux, Pound’s Canto ... an aesthetic that counted Stein, Edith Sitwell, Williams, H.D., and St.-John ...
- ... 48, Vice President Lyndon B. Johnson was sworn in aboard Air ... general counsel, were handpicked by Johnson. By September of 1964 the ... of credibility”. Meanwhile President Johnson wanted to expedite the ... more of a “coup d’etat”(Jeffery Waggoner), in which the ...
- ... порядка выводимых строк (ORDER BY) 25 Упорядочивание с ... Kim Lambert сотрудник Leslie Johnson сотрудник Phil Forest сотрудник ... 'Inactive'; dsBrowse: S := 'Browse'; dsEdit: S := 'Edit'; dsInsert: S := 'Insert'; dsSetKey: S := 'SetKey'; dsCalcFields ...
- ... high school, Donald Johanson was told by his guidance counselor to ... , co-authored with Maitland Edey, won the American Book ... the Mystery of Evolution (with Edey, 1989) Lucy’s Child: The ... companion book co-written by Lenora Johanson and Blake Edgar accompanies ...