Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Duddy Kravitz Essay, Research Paper
The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz
Duddy’s obsession with land lies within his grandfather, Simcha. When Duddy was small,
he spoke those unforgettable words to him, “A man without land is nobody.”
When it seemed as if nobody cared or respected him, Simcha did. Duddy did not receive
the same kind of love from his father or uncle as Lennie did. When Duddy comes back
from work at, he asks, “Why [Max] didn’t answer any of [his] letters?” He replies he
wasn’t “one for letters.”
“But Duddy remembered that when Lennie had worked as a camp counsellor one summer
his father had written every week. He had driven out to visit him twice.”(pp. 104 & 105)
Duddy did not have the same kind of affection and devotion Lennie and Max shared. The
same situation came from his uncle, Benjy. At first sight, Benjy described him as having
a “thin crafty face, the quick black eyes and the restlessness…the grain so shrewd and
knowing, all made a bad impression on Uncle Benjy.” (p. 61) Benjy supported Lennie,
giving him money for his education. With the exception of Simcha, he had no other
parental support which is the reason why Simcha words had such a great effect on him.
Duddy gains what he had wanted in its acquisition, respect. Everyone except Simcha, Mr.
MacPherson, and Uncle Benjy thought he was going to be a nobody. He wanted so much
to prove them wrong and he has. We may say he has gained self assurance, restating the
fact he was a somebody important. Since his days at Fletcher’s Field High School, he ran
a gang based on respect, not friendship. Things do not change when he becomes an adult.
Virgil is just one of the people Duddy uses to get money for his land. He feels no grief for
hurting his so called friends because he has never experienced true friendship. His
purchasing of land would push him into higher step in society. What he gains is nothing
compared to what he loses.
Duddy has lost his innocence. No longer is he the pure and na ve boy as before, but now
a corrupt, immoral man. Duddy has chosen a life without conscience or goodness,
beginning a life with no morals and corrupt “friends.” He does not think twice to people
he has hurt which displays the deterioration of his character. He has traded morality for
destructive materialistic values. Simcha believed in him but now looks at him in shame
for he knows the respect he will gain is shallow. The strangers who respect him look at
his money, not at his heart. To Simcha, money is not everything. He has lived a life based
on respect but for character, not riches. Simcha’s words have impacted Duddy’s life but
not in the way he wanted, never like this in his darkest nightmares. There is no more
respect towards Duddy in Simcha’s eyes but in this twisted world, respect from the
overall public. Duddy knows of Simcha disapproves of his actions but at the end, he does
not care, he thinks everything will be all right. This is the kind of person he has turned
out to be. Someone who does not understand what is wrong from right. His conscience
feels nothing, not even for the person who truly supported him from the start. If this is
how his mind works for someone he loves, it frightening to think how his treats someone
he hates. He loses the meaning of respect and decency and gains a numbness to
corruption. Simcha’s ironic words gained Duddy land but made him a heartless criminal.
- Duddy Kravitz : Essay, Research Paper In the novel The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz the reader feels ambivalent toward Duddy because we are sympathetic ...
- Forces Of Conflict In The Apprenticeship Of Duddy Kravitz Essay, Research Paper A successful novelist integrates the element of conflict ... story. Mordecai Richler?s The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz clearly depicts the different forms of conflict ...
- ... . Duddy Kravitz understands this perfectly, that is why he is one of the ... then, that Duddy has failed in his apprenticeship and has become the “scheming ... of the most important attributes to his tragic fall in The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz.
- The Apprenticeship Of Duddy Kravitz–Words Or Whip Essay, Research Paper The whip that a lion-tamer uses is the single ... . “So when he led Duddy Kravitz into the Medical Room that afternoon, breaking ...
- Passion Essay, Research Paper Destroying Passion Passion is any ... s destiny. In novel The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz by M. Richler, the author shows how main ... happened to a main character of The Apprenticeship of Duddy Kravitz by M. Richler. In less ...