Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Machiavelli On Human Nature Essay, Research Paper
Machiavelli s view on human nature is that basically
the worst of people is to be expected rather than the best.
Throughout his book The Prince, he points out certain aspects of
this behavior. There are specifically two quotations I feel best
describe his cynical attitude.
One quote is For a prince must have two fears: one,
internal, concerning his subjects; the other, external, concerning
foreign powers. It is generally concerned with one aspect of human
nature, which is fear deriving from expecting the worst from
people. Machiavelli indicates two fears. An internal and an
external fear. The internal fear deals with his troop. If the
relationship between him and his subjects is good, all will be stable.
Yet, the concern about conspiracy takes place. A prince must
always keep in mind that though all may seem well, there may in
fact be an attempt against him. This is expecting the most bad
from people. There is no true trust in them. They have to maintain
a balance amongst themselves because of a possible betrayal. It will
always have the prince alert and less likely to have a downfall. the
same goes for foreign powers and conspiracies. If there were no
bad expectation, there would be no fear in the first place. No
worries at all because everything would be good.
The second quote is, And therefore, it is necessary that he
have a mind ready to turn itself according to the way the winds of
Fortune and the changability of affairs require him. It stresses the
changing personality that the prince must have. He must be
unpredictable and therefore put up some sort of act. It states that
he must have a mind ready to turn itself. Why? Again expecting
the worst from people. He must train himself to adapt to any
change. Most of the time he should seem good, but whenever
necessary, he must know evil ways. …it is necessary to know how
to disguise this nature well and to be a great hypocrite and a liar.
The prince carries a false front because he never knows when
someone will deceive him. If a prince is generous, the people will
take advantage of him instead. Therefore he must always stay
generous and then he will eventually lose power. The people can
basically walk all over him. Yet, the prince may become miserly
when necessary and that people will respect. He is showing control
over a situation.
Machiavelli cynical attitude shows a primary cause of fear
and distrust in others. This causes the prince to always have to be
wary of his ambiance. Having to keep certain relationships with those around him. He must
portray a good image, but know how to do the opposite. This goes for every type of behavior he
displays. Having distrust in others keeps the prince in control.
- Different View Point On Human Nature Essay, Research Paper Different Viewpoints on Human Nature Throughout history there have been ... tries to intervene god in human nature, Machiavelli says to ignore it and ...
- Machiavelli In Modern Times Essay, Research Paper The fourteenth century was an ... very closely. (C2.) HUMAN NATURE Machiavelli credited the idea that human nature has and always ... Grose, Philip. “Form and Structure.” Machiavelli On-line. 1999. http://www.kidzone ...
- Machiavelli: Man Or Monster? Essay, Research Paper When most people think of the word Machiavelli, ... analyst, with a unique knowledge of human nature (Curry, 5). Francis Bacon, a noted ... involved, and himself often assisted on sensitive issues himself (Curry, ...
- Machiavelli, Aristotle, August Essay, Research Paper Niccolo Machiavelli’s The Prince examines the nature of power ... Whether men bear affection depends on themselves, but whether they ... is form naturally because of human nature and our natural tendency to ...
- Machiavelli And Plato Essay, Research Paper Niccolio Machiavelli (Born May 3rd ... therefore merely suggestions on possible theories in ... essential prior to judgement on whether Machiavelli is a political ... of human nature as suggested here in the envious nature ...