Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Jilting Of Granny Weatherall By Porter Essay, Research Paper
In Katherine Ann Porter’s “The Jilting of Granny Weatherall,” there are
two prevalant themes. The first is self-pity. The second theme is the acceptance
of her immenent demise. Both deal with the way people perceive their deaths and
mortality in general. Granny Weatherall’s behavior is Porter’s tool for
making these themes visible to the reader. The theme of self-pity is obvious and
throughly explored early on. As a young lady, Granny Weatherall left at the
alter on her wedding day . As a result, the pathetic woman feels sorry for
herself for the rest of her life. She becomes a bitter old woman who is
suspicious of everyone around her. This point is shown early in the story when
the doctor is speaking to Cornelia in the hallway outside of Granny’s room.
Granny exclaims “First off, go away and don’t whisper!” (p.1487) Granny
was apparently under the impression that the two of them were speaking ill of
her behind her back. Thoughts like these resulted from the trauma she suffered
when the man she loved failed to show up on their wedding day. Granny
Weatherall’s self-pity gives the reader a negative initial impression of a
woman the author eventually expects us to miss. The ailing octogenarian is so
incredibly annoying at the beginning of the story that one almost welcomes the
idea of her passing. The second theme is the acceptance of immenint death. At
first, Granny Weatherall could not accept the fact that her days were numbered.
She shows this when the doctor is summoned and she says “I won’t see that
boy again. He…
The rest of the
paper is available free of charge to our registered users. The
registration process just couldn’t be easier.
Log in or register now. It is all free!
Heath Anthology of American Lit., Third Edition, Vol II , Paul Lauter Ed.,
- Jilting Of Granny Weatherall Essay, Research Paper The Jilting of Granny Weatherall In Katherine Ann Porter’s “The Jilting of Granny Weatherall,” there are two prevalant ... of how it feels as life draws to a close. Porter suggests that by ...
- ... Contrast Essay, Research Paper The short stories, ?The Jilting of Granny Weatherall? by Catherine Anne Porter and ... ?A Worn Path? by Eudora Welty, have ...
- Jilted Again Essay, Research Paper JILTED AGAIN Webster’s ... Jilting of Granny Weatherall” by Katherine Anne Porter, Emily and Granny Weatherall throughout the course of their lives experience jilting ... within such a short time of each other. Emily’s father, Mr ...
- ... 1. Intro A.The story of ?The Jilting of Granny Weatherall? by Katherine Ann Porter is portrayed in two ... readiness of Granny for death gives a new interpretation to each version of the story. C.Each ...
- ... The Fearless Granny Weatherall In the short story The Jilting of Granny Weatherall Katherine Anne Porter introduces ... each case, she has kept her head on straight and gotten by ...