Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Death By Choice: Who Should Decide?
McGuires’ references to prior cases and documents is done logically and
clinically. After careful reading, and re-reading, I failed to understand his position
on the moral issue.
How can he perceive that by terminating a human life, this is acceptable
moral behavior? Moral implies conformity to established codes or accepted notions
of right and wrong. In other words, the basic moral values of society. Since when did
society begin to accept that termination of life due to a dysfunction or deformity
When did society decide that it is their “moral” obligation to determine when
the “quality of death” supersedes the “quality of life”? Who are they to decide what the
quality of life should be for that individual?
Morality is a standard of right behavior, sanctioned by ones conscience and
ethical judgment. How can any one person in society, using ethical judgment, decide
when the life of a child is no longer of importance?
McLaughlin refers to the killing ( word he used in his essay ), of person who
no longer has the capacity to exist within the quality of life standards. Who set those
standards? Society? When society decides who is fit to live and who is not, this is
manifesting themselves as “God”. This is morally unacceptable to me. We were not
put upon this Earth to act as God. We were placed here to do his work, but that does
not give us the free will to decide who lives and who dies. That is not our decision
to make. I , for one, do not want to have to supply an answer as to why I felt that a
disabled or dysfunctional person was not deemed acceptable to society.
My question still remains as to who takes the responsibility of determining
who deserves to live and die, based on “quality of life” ? Who created the standard of
quality? Shouldn’t that decision be based upon the individuals version, not of
societies ? Even if a person is born incapacitated, they were born for a reason. Who are
we too decide that the reason is of no consequence?
When our time to pass comes, that should be a decision made from a higher
power. Not a decision based upon what society has deemed acceptable.
- ... Essay, Research Paper Death Of A Salesman: An Overview The play “Death ... Biff seems to be the soundest choice, the decision that ... regard to life. The audience should leave a tragedy feeling virtuous ... decides that his only way to provide for his family would be ...
- DEATH BE PROUD ... thousand times worse each day the doctors offering ... it is by their own choice? In two ... ), the High Court decided on the legitimacy of ... Judge Stephen Reinhardt, who heard the Glucksberg ... physician-assisted suicide should be made legal throughout ...
- Euthanasia Essay, Research Paper Euthanasia is a ... that God is the one who should take our lives, but I ... think that when euthanasia is decided upon, the doctors are only ... Publishing, 1986. 2. Maguire,Daniel. Death By Choice. Garden City: Doubleday & Company,1984 ...
- ... suppress respiration, thus causing death earlier than normal, passive ... question of choice. Each of us should be empowered to have choice over our ... : Childcraft International, 1982. Euthanasia: Who Should Decide? by Matt Baber American Government January ...
- ... answers the all important question: Who should decide? He simply holds that, in ... dispose of, but rather to each individual human being” (p. 463). On ... pp. 461-463. Maguire, Daniel C. “Death by Choice.” Bernards pp. 447-452. Neff ...