Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Mohegan Tribe Good Report Essay, Research Paper
Mohegan Myths, Legends, Lore
A brief Mohegan History
The Mohegan tribe along with other Alonquian speaking Indians lived in the Thames valley in what is now Connecticut. The population was roughly 2,200 strong. Their way of life was based on the cultivation of maize, hunting and fishing.
The Mohegan and the Pequot were jointly ruled by the Pequot Chief Sassucus until a sub chief Uncas lead a rebellion that lead to Mohegan independence. The Pequot tribe was besieged and broken a part. The Mohegans took control of Pequot tribes and lands.
This is a excerpt from Mohegan oral history
Long Ago, The earth was formed a top the back of a giant turtle, whom we call Grandfather. At that time, Gunche Mundo (The Great Spirit) breathed a living spirit into all things: rocks,
Trees, plants, animals and people. Gunche Mundo created our mother tribe, the Lenni Leanpe (The Real People) and divided it into three clans.
–Turtles, Turkeys and the Wolves. The Wolf People know as the Mohegans separated from the Turtles and Turkeys then headed east toward the rising sun.
The tale of the MaKiaWisSug as told by Gladys Tanta Guidgeon.
Long ago, this land of the Mohegans was a very different place. Good Spirits guarded the place. Good Spirits were those called Makiawisug. They are the Little People of the woodlands.
When the full moon rose over the pine trees, the people would listen extra hard for the call of the whip-poor-will signaling the Little People s arrival.
In the days there were many good Mohegans, who brought small baskets filled with gifts of corn cakes and berries for the Makiawisug. They placed them deep within the woodlands
In return for the gifts they received, the Makiawisug taught the people about the healing herbs and how to grow corn. They brought Good Medicine and kept the Earth well
This was a time of Peace and Plenty.
Moons of the Mohegan year
There are 13 moons in the Mohegan year. There are also 13 sections on the back of a turtle. Turtles are the keepers of time and they are called the Grandfathers.
1st Moon Maple Sugar Moon
Spring geese return; ice thaws maple sugar runs.
2nd Moon Moon of peeping frogs,
Spring rain calls the frogs and plants sprout.
3rd Moon Corn planting moon
Offerings are made to the seven hills of corn.
4th Moon Strawberry Moon
Begins the feast of strawberries and courtship between young men and women begin.
5th Moon Thunder Moon
The warm time and gathering of first corn and blackberries known as weewatchingmunch.
6th Moon Moon of the hot suns
Known as the dog days of summer. Do not gather but swim and dig clams.
7th Moon Harvest Moon
The time of annual Wigwam or corn festival. Greatest time for gathering corn, pumpkin and squash.
8th Moon Moon of falling leaves
when looking in the sky Ursa Major Great Indian hunter kills Orion (great sky bear) The leaves change red (the blood) and yellow (the fat).
9th Moon Hunting Moon
When the frosts increase the time for hunting deer begins and young men are taught the lessons of a respectful hunt.
10th Moon Beaver Moon
At the approach of winter it is time to trap beaver, smoke meat and perform the ceremony of burning deer bones to give thanks for a good hunt.
11th Moon Cold Moon
The rivers freeze and the first Snow arrives, the time of story telling of the magical little people begins.
12th Moon- Wolf Moon
During the long month when the nights grow very cold and the wolves begin to speak of their hunger, the Mohegans stay in their long houses and tell stories.
13th Moon Snow Wading Moon
(If the moon is concealed by haze it is said to be wading through snow.) When the ice crystals in the air are shattered by the first thunder of spring the Mohegan Indian Year is drawing to a close.
- Report On April Morning Essay, Research Paper Book Report on April Morning by ... , he was the only magician available. Nathan Hamble was ... Goody Simmons could cook a good meat pie. Rider comes and ... the encountered. Wanted to trap the British between Lexington and ...
- Robert Edgerton Essay, Research Paper Robert Edgerton is an ... that they are not good enough, and they become ... interested in understanding men?s machismo to help their relationships, ... . The Gusiis, a different tribe society, had other sexual customs ...
- Robert Borden Essay, Research Paper I. Introduction Print section Borden, Sir Robert Laird (1854 ... to manage public utilities; a tariff, a tax on imports to ... many of his good intentions were already being ... ’s young assistant, Arthur Meighen. These bills, which ...
- ... MKT Research Canada Essay, Research Paper TABLE ... from Customs. Tariff Classification Tariff classification is ... Tariffs and Trade (GATT). Drawback Canada ... S.A. V. (Chilean Line) Robert Reford 221 St. Sacrament Montreal, ... the United States Mexican Investment in ...
- ... Enforcement Of Law Essay, Research Paper 4. Private Enforcement ... off from their tribe or nation, ostracized ... because the common good — sanctioning dishonest ... , just as landlords report bad tenants to ... security; moderate security; maximum security); then they ...