Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Hamlet Critical Analysis Essay, Research Paper
Hamlet s delay in seeking revenge directly correlates to the age in which the play was written along with the notion that Hamlet is brilliant but impatient, these are the reasons for Hamlet s procrastination. His impatience leads to his death in the end.
In Elizabethan times, a ghost was generally believed to be a devil that had assumed the form of a dead person. These ghosts wanted to put into danger the souls of those nearest themselves through lies and other questionable behavior. In Hamlet, when the ghost first appears on the palace guard s watch, no one affirms that it is the spirit of Hamlet’s father, only that it looks like him. Hamlet waits to be convinced that the ghost is indeed the spirit of his late father. When Hamlet decides to present The Murder of Gonzago before the king, he states as his motive:
The spirit that I have seen
May be the devil; and the devil hath power
To assume a pleasing shape; yea and perhaps
Abuses me to damn me.
However, once he is convinced that the ghost is truly his father, Hamlet still appears to hesitate. Some critics have explained this by analyzing his situation. Because the murder of the late king took place secretly, the Danish court doesn t suspect Claudius. His reaction to The Murder of Gonzago is significant only to Hamlet and Horatio, and Hamlet cannot kill the king before publicly proving him a murderer (as he is dying, Hamlet’s main concern is that Denmark know his reasons for killing Claudius). Also, if Hamlet kills the king without supporters present to uphold the act, he himself might be immediately killed as a regicide. This shows is brilliance in the grand scheme of things. When Hamlet rushes at the king in the last scene, the whole court with one voice shouts, Treason! Treason! although Laertes has already exposed Claudius’s bad character.
Like the Oedipus of Sophocles, Hamlet is a tragic hero and thus largely determines his own fate. Shakespeare portrays him as an extraordinarily complex young man brilliant, sensitive, noble, philosophic, and reckless. He is larger than life, a great example of emotion and intellect. This impatient kind of personality is the source of his tragedy. Hamlet’s impatience often prevents appropriate planning, so that when he does act he does not achieve his desired results. In the final scene, anxious to get on with the duel, Hamlet fails to inspect the foils and thus to notice that Laertes’s foil is not blunted. This final impatience costs him his life.
- Macbeth Literary Analysis Essay, Research Paper Krystal Abbott Pat Patterson ... . Many of them were critically acclaimed and others cast aside ... another work of genius. Hamlet and King Lear had just ... like many playwrights did some research. He found two stories ...
- Hamlet Essay, Research Paper The study of Shakespeare?s Hamlet has been one that is ... some insight onto his character analysis. ?Hamlet is . . . a man who, at ... York. N.Y. 1990 Coleridge, Samuel T. Shakespearean Criticism. Vol I. J. M. Dent & Sons, Ltd. ...
- ... cause of this is excess of the reflexive ... some insight onto his character analysis. “Hamlet is . . . a man who ... seemingly true statement, this paper should have given the ... York. N.Y. 1990 Coleridge, Samuel T. Shakespearean Criticism. Vol I. J. M. Dent & Sons, ...
- Hamlet Essay, Research Paper Context William Shakespeare was born ... a fallen soldier. Analysis It may be arguable whether Hamlet is Shakespeare’s greatest ... the source of enduring critical controversy. If Hamlet is merely pretending to ...
- Hamlet Essay, Research Paper Throughout time, many pieces ... more pieces of criticism. Some of the analysis of the plays ... Hamlet written by William Shakespeare has many essays of criticism ... supernatural ghosts used in Hamlet were incorperated into the play ...