Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Violence On Television Essay, Research Paper
Television has changed over time. It used to be a
wholesome activity for the family to sit in front of the tube together. It was a new technology that brought the outside world
into the living room. Now TV, as it has so lovingly been dubbed, has become a source of corruption for the nation’s children.
As the world becomes more and more violent the sanctity of the home becomes occupied with the extremities of violence.
Television and other media have caused unnecessary violence and effected the children of the entire country. Television
causes violence in children. It also inspires harmful behavior in adults. Some say that television programs do not contribute
to the violence, just depict it. Further study proves this theory wrong. Children mimic what they see. This was exceptionally
so in a group of preschoolers that were shown a tape of a man hitting a doll (Leland 47). “Afterward the kids who saw the
violence were more likely to mimic it on a similar doll” (Leland 47). Not only are television programs harmful to Allred 2
children, many violent crimes have been stimulated by TV. Movies have given people malicious ideas that led to actual
crimes. John Leland tells of a man that was a victim of a crime inspired by the movie “Magnum Force” (47). The man was
forced to eat Drano and had his mouth duct taped, just like in the movie (47). The perpetrators had watched “Magnum
Force” three times the day before (Leland 47). A similar incident occurred concerning the 1995 film “Money Train”. A man
named Harry Kaufman was killed in a Brooklyn subway tokenbooth (Leland 46). The booth, which he was clerk over, was
torched the same way a booth was in “Money Train” (Leland 46). The movie had only opened three days earlier and within
the next week two more booths had been attacked (Leland 46). Clearly violence is infecting the minds of the world with
suggestive ideas. Although some say that television violence is the effect of actual violence, surely actual violence is also the
effect of television violence. Now the question is how TV violence affects children. When children see too much violence they
become desensitized to it and/or imitate it. They may also gain a distorted world view. “Studies indicate that people who
watch a great deal of television are more likely to hold fearful or negative views of the world than those who watch less TV.
However, some researchers argue that people who watch a lot of television already hold such views” (World Book). Those
who are fearful of the worldly violence should monitor the violence in their own homes. In Allred 3 “Parents Magazine” Anita
Diamont says “Thirty years of research have proved that exposure to TV violence is hazardous to children’s health and
welfare. It makes youngsters fearful of the world, desensitizes them to the pain of others, and teaches them that it is normal
for adults to resolve conflicts with fists and guns” (40). Children cannot understand pain and death if they are watching
cartoons of coyotes falling off cliffs, just to get up and do it again. Kids are impressionable. They do imitate what they see. In
Canada a town that had recently been introduced to television noticed an increase in fighting between young children
(Leland 48). Murder rates were twice as high after only a decade (Leland 48). The media should take more initiative in this
pressing issue. Parents cannot always be watching their children and the media should be doing what they can to help
American citizens better themselves and their children. The government has conflicting priorities. If they want less violence
in the United States they should start censoring what the nation is seeing. They are just sending out reminders of what they
do not want. Although many people believe that parents should control the censorship of programming they cannot do it all.
The V-chip has been proposed. This would give parents an opportunity to take the block off if they wanted their children to
watch something. That way the government can prevent most violence while letting the parents have final say over what
their children watch. It would be a helpful reminder. Allred 4 “There are parents who are not going to use it at all. But it
does give parents some control” (Zoglin 59). Children are impacted by all education in every part of their existence. It
changes their news on life and people (Tice 37). If their views can be saved purely then everyone should be doing everything
in their power to keep it that way. The media should take some responsibility in creating a decline of corruption in the
nation. If they do not, who will? Many parents do not know that their children are watching morally and emotionally
deteriorating things. TV should be censored if only for the sake of the children.
- Violence On Television Essay, Research Paper Violence on Television What has the world come ... are undeniable. The viewing of violence on television does affect children. The ... bland by comparison. The violence on television is more exciting and enthralling ...
- Violence On Television Essay, Research Paper "There was murderers going ... a consensus in the research community that "violence on television does lead to aggressive ... 1965. Time. "Warning from Washington: Violence on Television is Harmful to children." May ...
- Violence On Television Essay, Research Paper To find a realistic and logical ... years of more research, more is known about the violence on television and how ... more reasons for concern about violence on television. “The research question has moved from ...
- Television Essay, Research Paper Television Violence and Children The world s most powerful teacher has been sitting on ... boring to children. The violence on television is able to be ... desensitized to the violence they see on television. Research has shown that ...
- Violence On Tv Essay, Research Paper VIOLENCE ON TV What has the world ... by comparison” (Dorr 127). The violence on television is able to be more ... at an early age that violence on television is bad, then he can ...