Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Reasons For Leaving
Coming back to what used to be home from an extremely traumatic war scenario creates a degree of alienation for any returning soldier. It is even more difficult when the soldier is a teenager whose life away at war is his first lengthy experience away from home. In ?Soldier?s Home? by Ernest Hemingway, Harold Krebs, who has had his moral views and beliefs altered by his life in the army, arrives home to a town that has not change much at all. Wanting to live a smooth life without any consequences, Krebs is disgruntled when nobody listens to him talk about the war, when he notices the pretty but complicated girls, and he finally decides to leave when he ends up making his mother cry.
When he first arrives home there is a lack of interest in Krebs? stories by the people in his town, which will lead to consequences that Krebs will have to deal with for the rest of his life. In an attempt to get anybody to listen to him he discovers that he has to start lying. After telling a couple of stories with lies that ?… consisted in attributing to himself things other men had seen, done, or heard of…? Krebs gains ?…a distaste for everything that had happened to him in the war…? (146). Because of these few false stories he has told, Krebs now has to deal with an emotional/mental state that ?nauseates? him every time he discusses or really even thinks about the war.
All he aims for while settling back in at home is a life without any consequences, which, because of his perspective of the town girls, means that he isn?t going to get involved with any. Though he enjoys looking at these ?good-looking young girls? he chooses not to act upon his desires to be with them. Krebs insists on having no ?consequences,? and therefore repeatedly attempts to persuade himself that he does not need a girl by telling himself that ?here at home it [is] all too complicated? (147). Krebs? utilizes self-talk and self disciplinary tactics that he learned in the army in order to resist desires that could cause unwanted complications in his life.
Striving for a life without complications or consequences Krebs realizes that it is time to go when his mother earnestly shows her concern and expresses how she feels about what he should be doing with his life. Krebs undoubtedly proves his disorientation caused by the war when he causes his mother to ?[cry] with her head in her hands? (150). By not being away at the war and experiencing its traumatic effects herself, Krebs? mother is unable to understand that her only son now sees life differently then when he was her religious highschool boy. When Krebs exclaims ?No? (150), he does not love his mother, he fathoms it is time to leave because he doesn?t feel as if he really fits in his home environment any longer.
Krebs undergoes a series of slight hardships, or difficulties in reaching his goal of minimal complications, throughout his months time back at home. Because his values have change so drastically through his time with the army and his experiences in the war Krebs feels that life would be less complicated for him if he were to just move away from his all too familiar hometown.
Hemingway, Ernest. ?Soldier?s Home.? The Bedford Introduction to Literature. Ed. Michael Meyer. 5th ed. Boston: Bedford/St. Martins?s, 1999. 543-54.
- Family And Medical Leave Essay, Research Paper Families and Employers in a Changing ... policies did not provide leave for all the reasons offered by FMLA – especially ... occurrence of taking leave from work for family and medical reasons. In addition ...
- Quest For Abolition Essay, Research Paper Quest For Abolition Critical Issues In Policing ... experience establishes these conclusions beyond a reasonable doubt. No comparable body of ... in dosage or administration can leave a prisoner conscious but paralyzed ...
- Waiting For Godot Essay, Research Paper Discuss the Ways in which ... the thieves was saved. Its a reasonable percentage. The word percentage takes ... day but is covered with leaves the next day. The boots ...
- Excuse For Hate Essay, Research Paper An Excuse for Hate There are many people ... doing to him so they leave the city, and never ... look back. But, they leave without saying, or doing, ... in a stereotype. There are many reasons that prejudice exists in our ...
- Reaching Up For Manhood Essay, Research Paper Under-privileged, African ... of permitting me to leave my neighborhood when ... my mother had different reasons for prohibiting me from following ... stereotypes. They do not leave for exceptions. Everyone chooses to ...