Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The Storm Essay, Research Paper
The title of this story suggests a metaphorical connection between the storm outside and the storm of emotions going on in the individuals Calixta and Alcee. The intensity of their sexual act inside the house follows the pattern of the storm outside. Their passion climaxes and diminishes with the storm. They are left replenished and fresh just like nature.
The storm outside had been brewing for some time, just as it had been brewing between Calixta and Alcee. They tried to deter the storm by staying away from each other, but it was inevitable just like the storm itself. They had set up barriers between themselves by not being alone together but those barriers could be and were broken. Just like the storm beating down the barriers of the house trying to expose them to the outside elements, the barriers between Calixta and Alcee were diminishing with first contact as shown in this excerpt. ?The rain beat upon the low, shingled roof with a force and clatter that threatened to break an entrance and deluge them there.? This refers to the storm outside and their emotional state. They were feeling this need and desire for each other and it was beating down all the barriers they had set up within themselves to resist this temptation. Their feelings were so dangerously close to the surface that they could hardly hide them any longer.
The storm was raging on and the drama of the lightning was very shocking to them. They could almost feel its electricity. ?The playing of lightning was incessant. A bolt struck a tall chinaberry tree at the edge of the field. It filled all visible space with a blinding glare and the crash seemed to invade the very boards they stood upon.? The lightning in the literal storm was the symbol of the electricity felt between the Calixta and Alcee. It draws them together by its magnetic force. She falls into his arms and their desire could not be denied once they touched. The urge was too powerful for them to deny, like a bolt of lightning.
The intensity of the storm increases along with their longing for each other. They did not turn and run from the internal storm of passion within them, but instead it made them happy and giddy so they don?t worry about the storm outside. ?They did not heed the crashing torrents, and the roar of the elements made her laugh as she lay in his arms.? Her feeling and emotions are very intense at this time. All she feels and needs is him to fulfill the raging storm inside of them.
Relaxation and calm is the feeling one gets after a storm has passed. This is what they both felt after their sexual encounter was complete. ?The rain was over; and the sun was turning the glistening green world into a palace of gems.? ?He turned and smiled at her with a beaming face.? His face beamed like the sun after the completion of a storm. The storm inside of him was satisfied and calmed by this act just as the earth is satisfied and calmed by a rainstorm. He felt whole and replenished.
A storm does many things for nature. It replenishes, feeds, and allows nature to grow. The storm between Alcee and Calixta did all of those things. Their desire was fed and satisfied. The storm replenished their relationships with their spouses and families. The following passage was used to describe Calixta and her family at dinner that same night. ??The three of them seated themselves at the table they laughed much and so loud that anyone might have heard them as far away as Laballiere?s.? It also replenished Alcee?s relationship with his wife. ?Alcee Laballiere wrote to his wife, Clarisse, that night. It was a loving letter, full of tender solicitude.? This storm rejuvenated their lives with their families as the other storm rejuvenated and replenished the earth outside. It made everything stronger and healthier. The storm beautifies the world with freshness and new life. The storm between Alcee and Calixta accomplished the same thing. ?So the storm passed and everyone was happy.? The storm between them gave them new life and satisfaction. They felt fresh and renewed like they had been reborn. They could appreciate everything they have once again.
- The Storm Essay, Research Paper The Storm In Kate Chopin’s short story “The Storm,” the narrative surrounds the brief affair of two individuals ... of human sexuality. This essay argues that “The Storm” may be interpreted as ...
- The Storm Essay, Research Paper “The Storm” “The Storm” by Kate Chopin is a great literary example of the use of setting ... the storm itself. Chopin describes the lovers? passion within the storm, “They did not heed the ...
- The 1960S Essay, Research Paper The 1960’s I picked this historical period ... dance on the first strum of his beautiful Fender guitar. The one thing ... in the sixties that ...
- ... : The Storm Essay, Research Paper The plot of the story "The Storm" by Kate Chopin is a conventional everyday plot. The ... very arousing to each of them but when the storm was over so ... came away from the storm realizing that they had each found the love of ...
- The Storm Essay, Research Paper i titled mine “Nature’s Passion” but ... The storm diminishes bringing their raging passion to a calming resolution. Each storm leaves the needs ... and desires of both the earth and the individuals ...