Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
English 102 E2
Equal Opportunity for Financial Aid
Most post secondary institutions consider themselves to be equal opportunity
establishments, although their financial aid system does not always seem to agree. In
leaving my native country for university I have personally gone through the difficulties of
trying to get financial aid. If you are an international student your only hopes of
obtaining any aid are based on your athletic ability or your SAT scores. If we chose to
come to America to get a university education, we should be treated as equals and
allowed to apply for all the same financial aid that the American students do.
It is every student-athletes dream to come to an American university. Athletes
from around the world try to obtain athletic scholarships in hopes of getting the training
and recognition to be able to go professional. Unfortunately not every athlete is able to
obtain a full athletic scholarship, leaving the student to come up with the remainder. Not
that we all deserve full scholarships, but in order to qualify for an I-20 student visa you
must show proof of having 15,000 American dollars at your dispense. Once that amount
is converted to Malaysian funds that amount is nearly $60,000, significantly more than
any American student needs proof of.
The Malaysian government does not agree with giving of athletic scholarships,
therefore they withhold any funding for student-athletes to leave to study in the United
States. There is one source of financial aid for post secondary students from Malaysia,
For students studying internationally, called the Malaysia Student Assistance Program. This is a near impossible student loan to obtain, it is available to students who’s parents either
make enough money to send them anywhere they want to go, or for students who could
not afford to go to university in Malaysia, therefore needing the athletic scholarships only
offered in the United States. Being from a middle class family I, like many other
Malaysian student-athletes could not qualify for this loan because of my working class
The other option for international students to obtain financial aid from the
institution of education would be from their SAT scores. The United States is the only
country in which this standardized test is mandatory. In Malaysia the cost of taking this
test is $100 American, which converts to approximately $ 400 Malaysian, the cost of
taking this test restricts most people from taking it numerous times as we are prompted to
do. I could only afford to take the test once, therefore limiting my academic scholarship
American students also have to opportunity to hold employment while in
university. International students according to the I-20 student visa are unable to hold
employment. We are not given social security numbers or citizenship status, although the
majority of us will end up acquiring a green card and living in the United States by the
time that we are done our university educations. For the amount of money we are giving
to the American economy one would think that they would be grateful and be willing to
give back by helping to subsidize our education. We are forced into bank loans, and
personal loans to pay for our education. The thought of living in debt for the rest of by
life trying to pay back seven years of post-secondary education is absolutely terrifying.
As well as the thought of only being nineteen years old an already being in debt, because
I am unable to hold a job or obtain any sort of financial aid because I am not an American
The Malaysian government has a right to withhold money from its citizens for
leaving the country, as well as the American government has a right to only give to
American citizens. I am just unsure as to why either country would want to with hold
money from any student from any country. In a time where education is so important to
the future why would either country want to hold its youth back. We would not be aiding
or taking away from either economy by studying in another country. We aid the
American economy by continuing our education here, and then we return to our country
of origin where we pursue summer and winter employment, where we still pay taxes. We
are not helping solely our economy of our country of origin, but we are helping a global
economy by becoming aware of not just our country, but also other countries. We remain
sheltered if we stay in one place all our lives, we need to explore and see the world, and
we can start by going from our home country to another for post secondary education.
The opportunity to study in another country does not come to everyone, but to
those it does come to, it is a very difficult opportunity to pass up. If we are invited to this
county to continue our education, why are we not treated as equals, both emotionally and
financially. We, like the American students are just that, students. We do not come here
because we do not want to study in our native countries, we come for the opportunity to
experience new things, meet new people and become more educated, just like the
American students. We do not come here to be judged or treated differently. We came
to be treated like what we are, students, regardless of where we came from.
- ... Haves And Have-Nots Essay, Research Paper English 12 Honors Kagefumi Mizoguchi ... America; the land of opportunities. How many times have ... states; all men are created equal. Is that so? I see ... both care each other greatly, understands each other and everything ...
- Affirmative Action Essay, Research Paper Aguilar 1. ?Affirmative action ... person). Disguised as an equal opportunity program affirmative action discriminates ... signed up for an English class freshman class at ... signed up for an English class freshman class at ...
- Short Essays Essay, Research Paper Please select from the following short essay sets:Georgetown Short ... I will be given the opportunity to excel both academically and socially. Duke ... in school although I didn?t know English well enough to always understand ...
- ... Acquisition Essay, Research Paper Abstract The purpose of this paper is to ... vocabulary component should include opportunities for explicit learning as ... , at least more equal, than the writing ... : Discourse Grammar and English Language Teaching, TESOL Quarterly ...
- Intrnational MKT Research Canada Essay, Research Paper TABLE OF ... and expense while exploring opportunities in Canada. Notwithstanding ... Party) Official Languages: English and French Work Week: ... Metal Products Ind. (excl. Machinery and Transportation Equipment ...