Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Cinco De Mayo Essay, Research Paper
On May 5th, 1862 La Batalla de Puebla, was fought. When the battle was over, the
untrained Mexican forces (made up of commoners) had won victory over the all-
powerful French army. Although this victory did not win was, it did show the
courage and strength of the Mexican troupes.
Mexico had gained its independence from Spain in 1821 but there were
internal power struggles that left Mexico shaky. Then in 1846. under the
dictatorship of Santa Anna, Mexico went to war with the United States. The
Mexican-American War left Mexico in a state of national crisis. The years of
fighting left Mexico devastated and bankrupt. Mexico lost a huge portion of land to
the United States, which we now call Texas.
Benito Juarez, a Zapotec Indian leader became the Minister of Justice in 1855.
He proposed two very controversial laws. One, that the church and military courts
could no longer try civilian cases and the second legalized the sale of distribution
of church land s. This caused civil unrest. In 1861 Juarez took control of the capital
and put his laws into effect causing a civil was that created a national debt.
On July 17, 1861, President Benito Juarez issued a statement that all foreign
debt payments would cease for two years after which time the payments would
resume. Well, the English Spanish, and French did not agree to this and decided to
invade Mexico and extract their payments in any way they could. Eventually the
Spanish and English withdrew, but the French refused to leave. They planned to
create an Empire in Mexico under Napoleon III. In 1862 the French army moved in.
Shortly before the battle on May 5th Benito Juarez announced to his people:
?The government of the republic will fulfill its duty to defend its independence, to
repel foreign aggression, and accept the struggle to which it has been provoked, counting
on the unanimous spirit of the Mexicans and on the fact that sooner or later the cause of
the rights and justice will triumph.?
At the same time General Lorencz stated to the French government:
?We are so superior to the Mexicans in race, in organization, in discipline, in
morality, and in refinement of sensibilities, that as the moment, and the head of our 6,000
valiant soldiers, I am the master of Mexico.?
On May 5th the outnumbered, untrained and ill-equipped Mexican people
defeated the formidable French army. The success was unimaginable and was won
with the determination and spirit of the Mexican people. However, victory was short
lived and within a year France had successfully conquered Puebla and the rest of
Mexico. The ruled there until 1867, then Juarez was restored to power where he
ruled until his death in 1872.
Cinco de Mayo celebrates the courage of the Mexican people during the
battle on May 5th. It is often confused with the Mexican Independence Day, which
occurred September 16, 1810 about 50 years later. The United Stated celebrates
Cinco de Mayo on a much larger scale than Mexico with Fiestas, parades, mariachi
music and pi?atas.
- Cinco De Mayo Essay, Research Paper Cinco de Mayo is a celebration of ... quest for freedom began on September 16th, 1810. ... independence. On Cinco de Mayo Mexican people eat mole as they do on any ... important holiday. They celebrate much like we do on ...
- Meow Essay, Research Paper “Gateway to heaven” “Ouch, je ... be all over the news, Ching Ching, I will probably hear about it ... back to his “medical research,” which entailed knocking on our door at ... another on the wall, and her mattress is not made. I do not ...
- Maya Angelou Essay, Research Paper Her life was never ... continues that, ?Angelou?s comic-lyric narrative prevents her autobiographical ... Gather Together, ?Maya Angelou?s insistence on taking full responsibility ... . Angelou?s refusal to do hard drugs marked the ...
- Maya Creation Essay, Research Paper The Mayans believe ... house of the Ahauab de Xibalba, which is Hell ... Cit Bolon Tum and Ahau Chamahez, the gods of medicine ... Kukucan, the wind god; Ekahau, the god of travelers ... Hunahpu’s head was placed on a dead tree that came ...
- On Sherman Alexie Essay, Research Paper Kenneth Lincoln With Sherman ... day. How about Indian du decade?" Millennial Indian extraordinaire? ... startle awake like a child. "Maia gave birth to a wily ... to Jonathan Winters, Cheech & Chong to Charlie Hill. The ...