Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The Casual Fashions of Men and Women in the Twenties
The twenties was a time of fun and craziness among the young
generation. The fashion fads of the time created a path for the fashions of today.
Before the twenties women wore ankle-length skirts, corsets , and other restricting
garments, men wore ovewrcoats that fastened in the front, double breasted coats,
and long pants. Then the twenties came and that all changed. Hemlines went up,
makeup was worn in abundance, hair was chopped off, and for the first time a flat
bosom was what every stylish woman wanted. Men’s basic attire became the
business suit. These styles gave way to the fashions of today. Today women wear
miniskirts, panty hose, short and long hair, makeup, and dyed hair. Men still
wear business suits, but only for work or special occasions. The styles of the
twenties created a new frontier in men and women’s fashion.
Searching for information on twenties fashion was a fun experience for me. I
did not find it very hard to do, because I had a lot of information about the history
of costume already at home. My best find was an actual magazine from the
twenties. My family and I were out at antique stores when I found it. I was looking
through through old magazines trying to find a Life magazine with the Gone With
the Wind cover, when I saw the Vogue with a girl dressed in flapper costume. I was
very excited about this find because I was worried that I would not find a
magazine source. The toughest part of my research was finding someone to
interview. I remembered that my great aunt was really old, but I did not know
what year she was born. When I found out what year she was born I was very
happy that I found someone old enough to remember the twenties. Then I had to
talk my parents into letting me call long distance to Missouri, which was easy as
long as I did not talk longer than thirty minutes. I think the best part of
researching was getting to know my great aunt a lot better.
Women’s fashion changed dramatically in the twenties, mostly due to social
change. More practical attire evolved from the more “liberated lifesyle” women
began to live. Petticoats and corsets disappeared, making way for elastic girdles. A
“boyish silhouette” was the figure that sylish women strove for (Tierney 12). Some
young women would tie rags around their breasts to try and flatten them (Todd
int. 4:20PM). I could not understand why a woman would try to stunt her growth
for the sake of fashion. It seems like the way Chinese mothers used to wrap rags
around their daughters feet to prevent them growing because small feet were a
mark of beauty in a young woman.
- The 1960S Essay, Research Paper The 1960s It may have been a decade of a myriad of ... was fashioned by part of the Flower Power ... of a flower, then a mushroom cloud. The twenty- ... the security, helping to portray the casual air of freedom at the festival. The ...
- ... illustrated by women’s fashions of the decade. Woman in the 1900s went from cover ... period of twenty years. Women?s fashions in pre WWI and in the 1920s have ... wear clothing was always more casual than the evening wear. Women wore ...
- Visions Of W.W.I. Essay, Research Paper Visions of WWI 1. Compare and contrast the fashions of the W.W.I. with the fashions of W.W.II a. What does ... in his twenties must register for the draft. He declared that each man ...
- The History Of The Barbie Doll Essay, Research Paper The History of Barbie Doll The idea of ... twenty years of American fashion. During the 70s ... casual looks such as the Dolls of the World Collection. In 1986 the ... fashions with CD-ROM products. One of the ...
- ... times of the day; it means he thinks each day ... the same as “I have run away” but has a much more casual ... fashioned and sophisticated. The introductory credits to the Scorcese film, The Age of ... some of the codes of New York Society truly are. Chapter Twenty- ...