Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The commercial vices are gambling, prostitution, and drugs. The
appeals of the commercial vices are so strong and widespread that
attempts to prohibit them in western countries have always failed.
The evils of these vices are threefold: Those who practice
them suffer, the criminals who sell them prosper, and the enforcement
organizations are expensive, unsuccessful, and often corrupt.
Two commercial vices have been accepted as unstoppable, but
there evils have been minimized by legalization and regulation. These are the
particular drug, alcohol, and gambling. Ethyl alcohol, the drug in beer,
whiskey, and wine does more harm is causing accidents, overdose deaths,
job failures, broken homes, and violence than all other drugs combined.
The United States attempted to prohibit alcohol and failed. The
Mafia made its money by bootlegging alcohol. The gangsters of the twenties
and thiries were in the alcohol business just as the drug peddlers of today are in
the drug business. Both settled trade disputes with gun fire. When alcohol
prohibition was repealed and sale by licensed dealers was instituted, the
Mafia went out of the liquor business and the revenue agents assigned to stop
the illegal business went out of business too. The quality of regulated liquor
became assured and taxed, not high enough to motivate bootlegging, became
a source of public revenue. Consumption of legal alcohol became only
slightly greater than the consumption of illegal alcohol had been.
If we follow the alcohol example with all other drugs, the benefits will obtain.
Much more than that, the temptation of the forbidden fruits will disappear. The jailing of
petty drug pushers will stop, together with their training as future serious criminals in the
crime schools which are jails. If we transfer the huge sums wasted on efforts and on
punishment to serious education and rehabilitation programs, the drug problem will retreat
to the trivial level it was fifty years ago.
At one time all but private gambling at home was illegal. So the Mafia ran
the numbers rackets and secret games and the bookmaking where law abiding citizens
did their unstoppable gambling. Now governments run lotteries and license and supervise
casinos so the gangsters are largely out, cheating in minimal, and governments earn
revenue instead of paying police.
Prostitution is an even more emotional problem. Addiction to sex is genetic,
permanent, and deprivation has many more penalties. Prostitution is the worlds oldest
profession. Here, again, legalization and regulation in Nevada was already eliminated
the pimps and gangsters and reduce the police force. With medical examinations and
licensing of the practitioners, there will be a radical reduction in the spread of venerel
diseases, including aids. For those already diseased there can be a matching of
buyer and seller by coding there license cards.
In conclusion, the government will take any law they can?t enforce
and turn it around in order to make and save money. But they are also making
less jobs for the police and other law enforcement agencies. I believe that in
the end this way of doing things will more than likely hurt us overall.
- Animal Rights Essay, Research Paper Many humans use animals for testing each year. Animal ... delegate testing to Universities and commercial laboratories. Government regulatory agencies protect ... Pennsylvania baboons are place din vices and they have their heads ...
- Babbitt Essay, Research Paper BabbittIf one were to ... price that our predominantly commercial culture exacts of American ... , and I haven’t any vices specially except smoking…I belong to ... bigotry, and its cutthroat commercial practices – to its essentially ...
- Animal Farm Essay, Research Paper SETTING The novel is ... neighbors after setting them against each other. Frederick, a neighboring farmer ... points out which human vices must be avoided by ... the neighboring farms, not for commercial purposes, but for obtaining ...
- Political Views Of Classical Economists Essay, Research Paper As a coherent economic theory, ... operations of private industrial and commercial entrepreneurs acting with a minimum ... epidemics, pestilence and plague, human vices and famine, all combining to ...
- ... .txt Falsely Accused.txt Fraud Essay.txt GUN CONTROL 2.txt Government ... .htm censorship.txt cercla.txt commercial vices.txt death_penalty.htm do_copyright_protection_last_too.htm ...