Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The Masque Of The Red Death Essay, Research Paper
The Mask of the Red Death by Edgar Allen Poe
Thesis: Poe uses symbolism to unfold this gripping tale of terror.
I. The first symbol in the story is the name of the Prince himself, Prince Prospero.
II. The ebony clock is another major symbol within this tale.
III. The black room is the most prominent symbol in the story but is not clear until the end.
The mood of this story is set as a description of the Red Death is laid out for the reader. “The ?Red Death? had long
devastated the country. No pestilence had ever been so fatal, or hideous.” (Poe 72) This disease left scarlet stains upon it
victims skin. Any victim of this disease was totally shunned by his fellow man. The final throws of this ” Red Death ”
were an agonizing half hour of torment and seizure. Prince Prospero could no longer bear witness to this, so in fear of his
life he took himself one thousand of his royal comrades and enough servants for all to a secluded abbey. He was sure the
seclusion from the Red Death would save his life. He was wrong!
Poe uses his supporting character Prince Prospero, to show the wealth of royalty in this story. This character?s speaks of
wealth and happiness. Prospero?s wealth was so vast that he was easily able to support one thousand of his royal
comrades, hundreds of servants, and a seemingly endless number of parties. However, it is very ironic that the prince of
prosperity was the first to die. He was murdered by the main character of the story “The Red Death” itself. I believe this
was to show the reader that one can not turn their back to society?s problems without feeling the effects.
The giant ebony clock screamed with the symbolism of the group?s short amount of time left in this world. This clock had
an over powering chime every hour. The chime paused its victims with disconcert and trepidation. This sound was so
clear, and loud that it was heard by all, and even the most joyous grew pale. In the end the clock died just as the “Red
Death” had taken its last victim, “And the life of the ebony clock went out with that the last of the gay” (75).
The “Black Room” is described vividly. ” The seventh apartment was closely shrouded in black velvet tapestries that
hung all over the ceiling and down the walls, falling in heavy folds upon a carpet of the same material and hue. But in this
chamber the windows failed to correspond with the decorations. The panes were scarlet-a deep blood in color” (73). This
room is a symbol of the end. There were seven rooms, and this was the last one. However not apparent at the beginning it
is to be the seen of the grand finally; where “Prince Prospero” meets his demise by the hand of “The Red Death”.
In conclusion I believe this symbolism in this story is a hidden attempt to show man that he/she can not turn
it?s back to the woes of the world. One man or group can not turn his/her back on society because sooner
or later the problems shall come to them.
Poe Edgar Allan “The Masque of the Red Death” Literature: An Introduction to Critical Reading Ed. Lee A.
Jacobus. Upper Prentice Hall, 1996. 72 – 76.
- Masque Of The Red Death Essay, Research Paper The Masque of the red death By: MC E-mail: MCC1000@AOL.com In “The Masque of the Red Death”, Poe leads ... caught by the Red Death, and the conclusion is that he is dead. The theme of the story ...
- ?The Masque Of The Red Death? By Edgar Allan Poe Essay, Research Paper Symbols Symbols can ... ?The Masque of the Red Death.? These symbols (colors, numbers, and names) helped to develop the theme of the ...
- The Masque Of The Red Death: Language And Symbolism Essay, Research Paper Edgar Allen Poe’s The Masque of the Red Death is an elaborate ... allegory that combines objects in the story ...
- ... Of The Red Death Essay, Research Paper Literary Analysis of The Masque of the Red Death In the story, The Masque of the Red Death by Edgar Allan Poe, the ... false sense of security, Edgar Allan Poe creates a desired atmosphere for The Masque of the Red Death.
- ... and horror of blood.? (Edgar Allen Poe The Masque of the Red Death.) Many thought the Black Plague ... of the Black Death existed. All were caused by the same bacteria, but they each ... were comprised of very different symptoms. The three forms, ...