Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Inherit The Wind Essay, Research Paper
The Theme of Inherit the Wind
The theme of Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert Lee is the right to think. One example that supports the theme is that Drummond tries to prove Bert Cates is on trial because he uses his right to think. Drummond asks Howard?s opinion on morality, so he can establish that ?anyone in this courtroom . . . has the right to think? (64). Drummond tells the jury that Cates didn?t commit a crime by teaching evolution and shouldn?t be penalized because ?he chooses to speak what he thinks? (64). Drummond wants the to convince the jury that Cates is going to be deprived of his right to think if he is found guilty. Another example that supports the theme is that Rachel realizes she has to respect Cates? right to think. In the beginning of the play, Rachel tells Cates to admit that he is wrong. Because she is afraid of what she might think, ?it seem[s] safer not to think at all? (111). However, she realizes later that she needs to respect Cates? beliefs and his right to think even if she does not agree with him. After Rachel reads the Origin of Species, she decides that ?[b]ad or good, it doesn?t make any difference? (111). Another example that supports the central idea of the play is that Drummond believes Brady and Cates should be able to decide whether to believe in the Bible or the Origin of Species. After Brady dies, Hornbeck criticizes Brady for being too religious. Drummond defends him from Hornbeck?s criticism by telling him that both Cates and Brady have ?the right to be wrong? (114). Drummond balances the Bible and the Origin of Species in his hands and puts them in his briefcase ?side by side? (115). Even though Drummond thinks the both of the books equally, Brady and Cates have the right to think that one is more important than the other. The theme of Inherit the Wind is the right to think.
Lawrence, Jerome, and Robert E. Lee.
Inherit the Wind.
Econo-Clad Books. October, 1999.
- Inherit The Wind Essay, Research Paper The Truth about Stanley Kramer’s Inherit the Wind History is consistently used in ... the movie, including the argument between individual vs. society. The same themes from Inherit the Wind ...
- Inherit The Wind Essay, Research Paper In our Consititution, ... we have the right to think? In the play Inherit the Wind by ... students about the theory of evolution. Drummond, the lawyer for ... This theory goes against the teachings of the Bible. Drummond does ...
- The Theme Of Inherit The Wind Essay, Research Paper In the play Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. Lee, the ... the point" (111). A second example of the theme of Inherit the Wind is shown by the ... Ultimately, the theme of Inherit the Wind by Jerome ...
- The Wind Essay, Research Paper The Wind Wind can tell us many things ... basic meteorology, the closer the isobars are to each other, the stronger the wind. Strong winds ... is counterclockwise and inward, so the wind tends to accelerate nearer the center, which ...
- Inherit the Wind The main theme of Inherit the Wind by Jerome Lawrence and Robert E. ... Lee is taking a stand. The ... Cates breaks the law by teaching the forbidden Darwin s Theory. The most famous ...