Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The Meaning Of The Name Brian Essay, Research Paper
Brian: The Story Behind the Name
Names are symbols that attempt to differentiate between different individuals. They take on different interpretations among different people. One person, for example, will think of something completely different when they hear a specific name. Etymology is the study of words. This includes the interpretations and their origins.
The name that I have been given is Brian. It has been what I have been going by my whole life. It has been something that has become sacred to me. It is a very good description of who I am and want to become.
The name Brian?s origin can be traced back to an ancient Celtic expression meaning ?exalted and high minded, or a strong leader? (www.babynamer.com). It?s modern day meaning is one of strength. There are many other ways of spelling it including: Brien, Bryon, Bryen, Bryant, and second most popularly, Bryan. It is the twentieth most popular name in America (www.babynamer.com).
A lot of individuals are unsatisfied with their names. They wish they had one more sophisticated, glamorous, or exotic. I have always been content with my name. I think of it as a good description of who I am.
Every kid has been teased because f their name. It is an everyday thing for people with unusual names. I wasn?t ever teased too often because my friends weren?t creative enough to come up with much. When I researched it on the Internet, however, I found otherwise. The most commonly used nicknames include: Fryin Brian, Brain, Cryin, Bry Guy, Brianny Whinny, Brainy Brian, Brian Pryin, Bye Bye, Bri Bri, Bri Gone, Bri Toast, B-Rock, Bri-Dog, Brinan (www.babynamer.com). The only ones that I heard growing up were Brain, Bri Guy, Briana, and Bri Bri. The reason I think that is behind there not being to many frequently used derogatory forms of my name is there are no derivatives or shortenings of it.
Brian is commonly associated with being smart or technically oriented. The cause and effect of this connection remain a mystery. I have always regarded myself as both of these. I have always been good at taking tests. I always got good grades and never really studied. I am also good at figuring out how to work computers and other complicated gadgets.
I have always thought that my name was much more interesting than other?s that I have known. It just seems to have a nice ring to it that just can?t be duplicated. I think it suits me in a way that no other name could. I could never imagine having any other name.
My name has formed the person who I am today. I would be a totally different person if I went by the name of Moe. It can totally shape your self-image. Some people refuse to let it shape their self-image. They change their names in the hope that it will change them. It never works out as well as they plan, though. People must first accept their names, and then they can begin to accept themselves.
- The Downfall Of Young Goodman Brown Essay, Research Paper The Downfall of Young Goodman Brown “Young Goodman Brown”, by ... were bad deeds done in the name of good, and it shows that ... his “basic means of order, his religious system, is absent, the society he ...
- The Faith Of Young Goodman Brown Essay, Research Paper Timothy Wenk Bailey ... , Hawthorne gives Goodman Brown’s wife the name of Faith for the obvious symbolism and irony ... represent the religious faith of Goodman Brown. Therefore, that cry not only means he ...
- The History Of The Olympic Games Essay, Research Paper IntroductionToday, the Olympic Games are the world ... by the founder of the Modern Olympics Baron Pierre de Coubertin. The five ... symbolic meaning: ” These five rings represent the five parts of the world ...
- ... and the Lower Guinea. Each consisted of different types of people, of ... additionally be born as slaves. All of the members of the clan would ... slavery. The families and tribes had no means of storing food ... branded to ensure that none of the purchased slaves were ...
- ... causes the country around the castle to become barren and ... with enamel inlays… In each of the candelabra there were at least ... Perceval is curious as to the meaning of these objects, and whom ... had the name of Repanse de Schoye. Such was the nature of the Gral, ...