Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Asian American Stereotypes Essay, Research Paper
Pertaining to Tracy Lai s article titled, Asian American Women , Lai
discusses how stereotypes dehumanize people while turning them into objects to be
manipulated. Lai touches on the topic of how Asian people and cultures are
stereotyped as being inferior and exotic. The problem that Lai brings to our
attention is that it is a struggle to be an Asian in America due to the fact that Asians
have been denied political, economic and social equality in America. Lai also
brings to our attention the die hard myth that Asians have made it in America, which
is far from the truth.
I sense that Lai s argument is extremely effective due to the fact that
stereotypes are not only seen among Asians, they are also seen in many other
cultures and genders. For instance, women for years were battling for woman s
equality to be able to vote, and today women are still battling for equality in political
and economic areas. In addition, African American s are still trying to be accepted
into certain political roles throughout our society. Since Tracy Lai is a Asian in
America I feel that her argument holds great validity due to the fact that Lai shared
her own personal experiences. By reading Lai s personal feelings, it allowed me to
understand her beliefs to a greater extent because I was able to see where she was
Certainly I agree with Lai s views because I have noticed that Asians are
depicted as being inferior. For example, if you have ever seen a movie or a
television show that had an Asian character, nine times out of ten the Asian
character is depicted as being mathematicians, naive, and speaks with broken
English. I have also noticed that there are very few Asian politicians, as well as
very few women politicians, within our culture. I do not know if this problem
stems from Asian Americans not having a historical/authoritative figure like Dr.
Martin Luther King representing African Americans, and Susan B. Anthony
representing woman s rights to vote. However, I do know that Asians do not
receive the same types of opportunities as others because they have been
stereotyped for so long as being inferior. In addition, I feel that the reason why
Asians may be seen as inferior individuals is because they were one of the last
cultures to start a movement for equality that was inspired by other ethnic cultures.
Because of this somewhat late movement, our culture has not been able to adapt to
this change, like our culture has not adapted to women being paid the same as men.
Lai brought to my attention that Asians are claimed to value education more than
other minorities and Asians are said to have special intellectual affinities for math
and science. Lai proceeded to raise the point that this is a racist rationale because
this is implying that other cultures are not able to succeed in this type of area. For
instance, I can relate to this statement because African American s are said to be
dominate in athletics, and they are also believed to have a higher vertical leap than
others. I was offended when I heard this because I received a scholarship to
Sacramento State for high jumping, and I am not African American. This example
just goes to show you that stereotypes do dehumanize people and turns them into
something they are not. In retrospect, Asians and other cultures are being denied
political, economic, and social equality which is not equitable to these people. I feel
that by reading Lai s article has made me realize that stereotyping has no
boundaries, because it is occurring in many different cultures and it is effecting
many different people.
- Ernest Hemingway Essay, Research Paper In this paper, I ... a symbol and a stereotype rather than a living ... nadas. The nadas, pertaining to nothing, and ... seem macho. But then again, if I were a guy ... The Oxford Companion to American Literature. Publication city: ...
- EngL 3851 Essay, Research Paper Fall 1998 Minnesota Iron ... and all the numerous other stereotypes alike, whom can we ... pertaining to the Iron Range unique dialect is a regional/cultural one. Again ... of The Mesabi Range.” American Dialect Society 67. University ...
- ... In Business Essay, Research Paper The Necessity ... image of today s American businessmen includes the notion ... but also, the stereotype is produced by communications ... they considered unethical pertaining to work. The ... and follow up once again. Striving to be ...
- Witchcraft Essay, Research Paper This paper will provide ... destroy anything that pertained to witchcraft or ... to the negative stereotype of witches “riding ... are become human again and remain human ... became a werecreature. The American Indians, tribal Africans, and ...
- ... Views And Stereotypes Essay, Research Paper Iroquois Indians: World views and Stereotypes The ... crucial and major issues pertaining to all the Iroquois ... by themselves and the again with the group. They ... world, but as an American stereotype, this is what most ...