Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The Great Gatsby: Materialism Essay, Research Paper
The Great Gatsby: Materialism
The quote “material without being real” shows the emptiness of an existence
with the realization of a tainted ideal. Fittingly, this quote from Nick is
placed after Daisy leaves Gatsby. Nick is imagining what Gatsby would be
thinking if he had understood that the goal, winning Daisy and her
materialistic insubstantiality, was unworthy of his effort. Fitzgerald does
not specifically state if Gatsby is or is not waiting for the phone call from
Daisy. If Gatsby has realized that Daisy will not call, then he has undergone
the self-recognition of the tragic hero. If he is waiting for the phone call,
then he is still holding on to his idealized goal. While this shows that he
is holding onto the part of his life: that which marked his personality as more
substantial Daisy’s personality, it also illustrates the futility of reaching
for a corrupted goal.
Many Americans today may lack the motivation of Jay Gatsby in the quest
for his “pure” dream. Their existence is strictly materialistic. Such
individuals view the purpose of education not as serving to perfect of one’s
intellect, but to secure a job. Every day they perform the same dull and
tedious routine, their only goal being the receipt of a paycheck which they
will redeem ultimately for social status. Some do have dreams, and to their
life is added new meaning through the reaching for a goal. It is this reaching,
the gaining of enjoyable and constructive experience, which gives purpose to
their work that diminishes the monotony of their daily existence. Whereas the
straight materialists will eventually spend their “dream,” the experience that
a “reacher” gains cannot be taken away.
- The Great Gatsby 13 Essay, Research Paper THE GREAT GATSBY The Great Gatsby, by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is an ... falls in love with Gatsby and his material possessions. Nick describes ... how Daisy reacts to Gatsby s wealth, ...
- The Great Gatsby 6 Essay, Research Paper The Great Gatsby The phenomenon that is The Great Gatsby has been universally classified ... to this materialism; the second she saw that Gatsby had no ... Tom prioritized material possessions such as money; Gatsby put his ...
- The Great Gatsby 15 Essay, Research Paper The Great Gatsby The Great Gatsby, a novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is about the American Dream, and the ... but in The Great Gatsby, for Jay, the dream is that ... American Dream is not material possessions, although it may ...
- The Great Gatsby 2 Essay, Research Paper The Great Gatsby The Great Gatsby, a novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is about the American Dream, and the ... but in The Great Gatsby, for Jay, the dream is ... American Dream is not material possessions, although it may ...
- The Great Gatsby Report Essay, Research Paper “A Book Report on ?The Great Gatsby? The Great Gatsby, a novel by F. Scott Fitzgerald, is about the American ... Jay, his dream is not material possessions, although it may seem ...