Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
DNA Essay, Research Paper
The “thread of life”, is deoxyribonucleic acid, otherwise known as DNA. It is the spiral shaped molecule found in
the nucleus of cells. Scientists have known since 1952 that DNA is the basic substance of heredity. This was
hypothesized, and later confirmed by James D. Watson and Francis Crick. They also know that it acts like a
biological computer program over 3 billion bits long that “spells” out instructions for making the basic building
blocks of life.
DNA carries the bodies genetic code, controls the development of an embryo, is capable of duplicating itself, and
is able to repair damage to itself. DNA can be manipulated to change all kinds of things.
All DNA molecules consist of a linked series of unites called nucleotides. Each DNA nucleotide is composed of 3
subunits: a 5 carbon sugar called deoxyribose, a phosphate group that is joined to one end of the sugar molecule,
and one of several different nitrogenous bases linked to the opposite end of the deoxyribose. There are 4 nitrogen
bases called adenine, guanine, thymine, and cytosine. In DNA adenine pairs with thymine and guanine with
Medicine’s ability to diagnose continues to exceed its ability to treat or cure. For example, Huntington’s Chorea is
an inherited disease that develops between the ages of 30 and 45, can be diagnosed before any symptoms appear.
This can be hard for both the individuals with the disease and their family.
There is a 3 billion dollar project underway right now called the Human Genome Project, a 15 year program to
make a detailed map of every single gene in human DNA. With automated cloning equipment to steer scientists
through the DNA, scientists are finding human genes at the rate of more than one a day. This may not sound like
very much but as technology increases the rate at finding them will increase. Since January 1993 to January 1994
scientists have located the genes for Huntington’s disease, Lou Gehrig’s disease, and the “bubble-boy” disease.
Scientists are expected to find the first breast cancer gene any week now.
Even with the best tools of today, the progress is full of surprises. Human DNA is not like that of plants, in which
the trait of color of a flower is determined by one gene. Even the color of a human eye can involve the interaction
of several genes. Some complex genes, such as cystic fibrosis, can go wrong in any number of places. Scientists
have already accounted for 350 places where the cystic fibrosis gene mutates, and more are being uncovered
Many environmental factors, some physical, other’s chemical, can alter the structure of a DNA molecule. A
mutation occurs when such alterations lead to a permanent change in the base sequence of a DNA molecule.
Mutations result in an inherited change in a protein synthesis. DNA is damaged by exposure to ultraviolet (UV)
light. The DNA does have the ability to repair it self, however.
DNA can also be used to match suspects in a crime. Each person’s DNA is different from everyone else, except in
the case of identical twins in which it is identical. By comparing substances left at a crime scene (blood or semen
samples) law enforcement agencies are able to match the DNA at the crime scene with a certain suspect. A recent
example of this is the O.J. Simpson case, in which the lawyers are trying to match up O.J.’s DNA with the DNA in
the blood found at the crime scene.
Many questions have been raised by a number of people and scientists about the ethics of DNA research. It was
once feared that the insertion of a disease causing substance could cause a deadly epidemic in the general
population upon accidental release. But, since 1973 when they first used the technique it has been transferred
thousands of times without any of the feared catastrophes occurring. But, still there are many questions remaining
to be answered. Is it right for people to change their babies’ eye color, or any other aspect of their baby? Should
employers be allowed to see your DNA, to see if you are at risk for a certain disease?
- Three Georges Dam Essay, Research Paper The United States, China and the Three Gorges Dam: Toward A Sounder Foreign ... to mitigate the negative aspects of the dam. This paper argues that the U.S. position was ...
- The Dream Essay, Research Paper The Dream Final Paper Praxis I Sahna Carmona It was late December, the drifts ... to do mid dem, so you displaced dem to the garden hose. He ... being different from the others. Being shriveled.? ?Well, I don?t like being here ...
- DNA Essay, Research Paper DNA, deoxyribonucleic acid, is the genetic molecule. It carries all the genetic information of ... . ? Diagram of DNA replication?The final result is two DNA molecules, each made up of ...
- Dna Essay, Research Paper Only a small fraction of our total DNA makes us different from gorillas ... then influence the way people vote. The good, the bad and the ugly Everything ... developments on the use of DNA in the criminal justice system. Each topic will ...
- The Mailman Essay, Research Paper THE MAILMAN “I never thought I’d say ... up in anything…”. “I won’t, don’t worry”. “Now what was I ... him birthday greetings–I don’t use the darn thing enough to ... ever since I was a child”. “I don’t suppose you have anything that ...