Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Heart Of Darkness Essay, Research Paper
Good and Evil: Fight to the Finish William’s Lord of the Flies, (1954) an Conrad’s Heart of Darkness, (1902) there are affective comparisons and contrasts
between the protagonist and the antagonist. Even though the protagonist and the antagonist have the same intentions, they have different motives. In Heart of
Darkness, Marlow wants to save Kurtz, but the manager doesn’t want Marlow to bring back Kurtz, because the manager is afraid that if Marlow brings back Kurtz
than he’ll have to quit his job and give it to Kurtz. In Lord of the Flies, Jack wants to take over the leadership and Ralph, on the other hand, wants to be a leader
himself. Ralph wants to be the leader so that he could make some kind of plan to get off the island, but Jack wants to be a leader so he can be the ruler and hunt, so
that he has meat for himself. (9, 137) The protagonist wants victory over the antagonist and the antagonist wants to de-feat the protagonist. Where as the e
antagonist has an evil purpose and the protagonist had a good purpose. A similar concept between the protagonist and the antagonist is that both of them are brave
enough to dare to go against each other. They don’t hide from each other, but they both of out and confront each other. In Heart of Darkness, Marlow knew that
the manager didn’t want Kurtz back, but he was brave enough to try bringing Kurtz back. the manger knew Marlow was just like Kurtz. That he will not give up so
easy. The manager did everything in his power to stop Marlow. Even if they think their opponent is stronger, they don’t back away from the fear of facing them. In
Lord of the Flies, Piggy knows that Jack and his tribe is stronger than him, but still he goes over to the tribe and speaks his mind out about how they were wrong.
(156) when a person makes up their mind to confront their opponent, nothing can stop them. Another comparable characteristic between the protagonist and the
antagonist is that both of them seek revenge. One or the other have rage of revenge in their minds. In Lords of the Flies Jack is jealous of Ralph, because he was
chosen for leadership. Jack wanted revenge and he started his tribe and becomes the chief of the hunters. He turns himself and his group into savages. (141) In
Heart of Darkness, Kurtz was going to be the manager didn’t want to let go of his job. So when Kurtz was sick and needed medication. the old manager never sent
Kurtz anything. He was seeking revenge because he thought the officials of the trade company were going to hire Kurtz. Revenge is one of the things which one
can’t resist, but at the same time the results are often bad. In Heart of Darkness and in Lord of the Flies both of the heroes, Marlow and Ralph, have a someone or
something to rely on. This gave them strength and it is what motivated them to do the acts of bravery and both of them depend on it for their survival. Ralph has a
conch, which symbolizes his leadership. When it is crushed, everything starts to fall apart. Jack and his tribe start to take over. (164) Marlow had to save Kurtz that
was his mission and that’s what kept him going After Kurtz death Marlow left the ivory trade. After Marlow left the manager was in charge. The primary distinction
between a protagonist and the adversely is that a protagonist always tries to do the right thing and follows the path of integrity and the adversary always tries to
come in the way and create problems. Ralph and Piggy want to keep the fire going so that they can be rescue, but Jack and his followers want to cook the meat and
they don’t care if the fire is gone. (133-135) this citing shows how differently the mentality of the two rivals work. Ralph is in touch with reality, he wants to keep the
fire going, but Jack stands in the way preventing him from what he wants to accomplish. In Heart of Darkness when Marlow’s steamer breaks down and he asks the
manager to get riverts to fix the steamer. the manager keeps on making excuses. Another difference between the protagonist and the antagonist is that the
protagonist is kind and tender, whereas the antagonist is cruel and evil. Ralph take care of the littluns and tries to keep them safe. (118-119) Jack and his tribe
turned into savages and killing people. They did their dance of death to kill Simon mercilessly, who was innocent.(139)Simon’s/Beast’s death symbolizes the
fierceness of Jack’s tribe. No matter what the manager told Marlow about Kurtz being a thief , Marlow didn’t give up on Kurtz he had faith and trusted Kurtz better
than the manager. Manager didn’t care about anyone but himself. In conclusion, the antagonist is an obstacle for the protagonist and the protagonist is supposed to
overcome the obstacle. The protagonist most often pulls through one way or another. In Heart of Darkness Marlow escapes the manager, the ivory trade, and
defeats all his adversaries and in Lord of the Flies, Ralph escapes from Jack and his tribe. Both protagonist and antagonist have similar motifs. But also are different
because of many things such as being evil or good and being able to of the right thing or not.
- Heart Of Darkness Essay, Research Paper Compare and Contrast: Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now Inherent ... Both The Heart of Darkness and Apocalypse Now examine the good and evil ... in humans. In The Heart of Darkness, Marlow speaks of ...
- Heart Of Darkness Essay, Research Paper When considering Heart of Darkness by Joseph Conrad, the formalistic ... enter the darkness of the uncivilized world in the name of a good bottom line ... the darkness. Conrad uses Marlow to portray the seemingly good-hearted ...
- Heart Of Darkness Essay, Research Paper Marlow?s Journey into Kurtz? In Joseph Conrad?s novel, Heart of Darkness, we are shown ... on believing that he was a good man. This is an extraordinary ... is still a good human being with feelings and a sense of right and ...
- Heart Of Darkness Essay, Research Paper Title: Heart of Darkness Author: Joseph Conrad Setting: ... armed with only his good moral intentions of bettering the natives. ... a legacy of good intentions personified through the stations. Quote: ‘Each station should ...
- Heart Of Darkness Essay, Research Paper The imagery of dark and light ... of the human?s heart and how it turns from good ... heart. The heart that starts out good (for most) and from the evilness of ... other concept of darkness comes from within the heart, which is ...