Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The only thing a human being truly possess is his thoughts and feelings, and no person should ever
tamper with these sacred belongings. In the case of Winston Smith, the main character in George
Orwell’s classic “1984,” he losses his only possession; he losses his humanity. Winston Smith, like every
other normal man hates, lusts, thinks, and most important of all loves, until The Party, the controlling
power, breaks him down and rips his human tendencies out. That makes Winston change into a just
another mindless member of The Party’s Negative Utopia which was the exact opposite of what he was
before, and what he ever wanted to become.
Before The Party “broke” Winston he was a free spirited individual, and had the ability to dream, dream
about the places he has been, the people he knew, lands he has not discovered, or even his fears. “It’s the
Golden Country…(Winston said) a landscape I’ve seen sometimes in a dream.” (p 103) Winston discusses
fondly with his lover Julia, the only person he has ever felt true love for, the place he dreams of finding. “In
the dream he had remembered his last glimpse of his mother…” (p 133) Here Winston tells Julia of his
Another characteristic Winston had was that of Love and Lust. “That was above all what he wanted to
hear…the animal instinct, the simple undifferentiated desire.” (p 104) At last he had a chance to
experience true ecstasy, the animal instinct of sex. The Party had prevented it until that moment. “Julia!
Julia! Julia, my love! Julia!”…In that moment he had loved far more then he had ever done…” (p 230)
Winston cries out for Julia in the Ministry of Love, after he had been bruttly beaten and tortued.
An individual can recoginize and value of what true beauty really is such as waves crashing upon a shore,
the innocence of a child, or the song of a bird. “A thrush…began to pour forth a torrent of song.”…and…”it
was as though it were a kind of liquid stuff that poured all over him and got mixed up with the sunlight that
filtered through the leaves.” (p103)
- 1984 Essay, Research Paper The novel 1984 by George Orwell is an American classic that explores the human mind ... . Winston, a man who once said ?the only thing that can keep you ...
- ... Orwell 1984 Essay, Research Paper George Orwell, author of Nineteen Eighty Four , in 1921 joined the Indian ... Big Brother. Winston, the Party’s opposition, had the only hope to rebel. Winston ... kept Winston alive. The Party not only wanted Winston to suffer ...
- 1984 Essay, Research Paper 1984 is about life in a world ... on official business, and then only by penetrating through a maze of ... Orwell was when the Nazi-Soviet pact signaled the breakdown and the beginning of the ...
- 1984 Essay, Research Paper George Orwell has been a major contributor to anticommunist literature around the World War ... through the actions that take place in this book and is only ... describing his memory. (Lawrimore) If Orwell had written ...
- 1984 Essay, Research Paper 1984 -George Orwell SUNDAY, NOV 14, 1993 ... escape vapourization. He is the only one who has not been ... one concerning the proles. He feels they are the only group that ... might overthrough the party, but ...