Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Polygamy Essay, Research Paper
Polygamy is defined as: marriage in which a spouse of
either sex may have more than one mate at the same time. (www.m-
w.com) Polygamy may be odd to most Americans, but in the global
community it is common, normal and accepted. Although the
percentage of men in the world who have more than one wife is
relatively small, almost one-third of the world’s population
belongs to a community that allows it, says Israeli
anthropologist Joseph Ginat. (www.hartford-hwp.com) Polygamy was
an accepted practice among early Hebrews, this was because the
Bible never spoke wrong about the practice, so no Jewish
philosopher opposed it publicly. Finally, in the 10th century, a
rabbi named Gershom outlawed polygamy for 1,000 years, saying
that allowing polygamy only made conditions in society worse for
Polygamy is most common in Muslim countries where there are
no laws against it, and in communities that are more traditional
and agrarian. For example, it is common and growing among the
180,000 Bedouin of Israel. It is also frequent among some
Mediterranean Jews living in Yemen. But having multiple wives and
families requires money, so in each society that permits
polygamy, only 10 percent to 25 percent of men actually practice
it, and most have only two wives, the men most likely to be
involved are those with the most economic resources and most
status in the community. Also, many American Indian tribes allow
polygamy, several experimental Christian groups practice it; and,
of course, there are those famous offshoots of The Church of
Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
Polygamy is only wrong if it violates your own personal
beliefs. For example, many people, especially Americans, are
uncomfortable with the thought of a male having more than one
wife. But many religions such as: Biblical Christianity, Roman
Catholic, Islam/Muslim, Jewish, and Mormon don t despise of this
belief but embrace it; creating a larger, stronger work force.
There are two sides to every controversy, whether they are right
or wrong can only be decided by you.
- Polygamy Essay, Research Paper What exactly do you mean by “polygamy”? “Polygamy”, as referred to on ... down the first limitations against polygamy. Polygamy is permitted in the ... being, especially in countries where polygamy is prohibited, almost invariably ...
- Polygamy Essay, Research Paper Polygamy is the practice of a ... This paper will be focused strictly on the debate over polygamy. ... home, whereas other polygamy husbands may have each of his wives ... marriage. Tapestry of Polygamy, an anti-polygamy group that is made ...
- Polygamy Essay, Research Paper Polygamy Two Wives are Better than ... a housewife or even a lawyer. In polygamy, each individual involved has ample opportunity ... several magazine articles concerning polygamy discusses that with polygamy, each family member has ...
- Polygamy Essay, Research Paper Of the five recognized ... use the broader term “polygamy,” and it will be so ... them, which limits polygamy. Bride wealth alone inhibits polygamy, but the ... Saharan African countries in which polygamy is still widespread shows ...
- AIDS Essay, Research Paper AIDS is short for: Acquired ... as 2 million orphans by 2010. Polygamy, cultural morals, and a lack of ...