Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
"The Chimney Sweeper" By William Blake
Unlike the one in Songs of Innocence, "The Chimney Sweeper", in Songs of Experience is very dark and pessimistic. This poem also seems to be very judgmental and gives motives for everything, but unlike Song of Innocence, the sweeper in this poem does not free himself from his misery.
In the first two lines, Blake gives us an image of an anguished child in a state of agony or even in a state of corruption. The color black seems to be very important because it is used to represent sin against innocence, the color of the white snow. Blake also shows the same child weeping, when he really means to say sweeping, because that is what has that child in such grief. This stanza ends by someone asking him about his parents, which later end up being responsible for this child?s state.
In the second stanza, the child is pictured in a very more happier and playful mood. This soon changes when he decides to tell the stranger more about his parents. They are showed to be punishing their child for being so happy by "clothing in clothes of death and teaching him to sing notes of woe." It is very obvious the sweeper?s feels hate towards his parents for putting him in such sadness, but instead he chooses to hide it by making himself look happy and satisfied.
It is clear in the last Stanza that Blake?s criticizing the Church , especially, and the state for letting a lot of these things happen. During this time many children were dying from being, either, worked to death or from malnutrition. Neither the state or the church did anything to stop this and is obviously why Blake feels so much anger towards them. The sweeper?s parents are really no help towards their own child. This makes the reader wonder, if they are worshipping god, the source of good doings, why do they chose to ignore their own child. They would rather turn their heads the other way and instead findlove at church.
I think this is a very striking poem. It clearly shows Blake?s anger towards society at this time. I also think that he used many of his poems to make people aware of the suffering of people at this time. I also think That he wrote two separate books to give a fuller effect. Songs of Innocence, I think was how people thought that everything was okay. Songs of Experience, in my opinion was
to open every ones eyes.
- The Last Supper Essay, Research Paper The Last Supper was a very powerful Biblical event, ... a different scene of the same event, the first communion. Although the painting is very ...
- The Common Cold Essay, Research Paper The common cold has been plaguing humankind since the beginning of human existence ... Housekeeping" (201). Spray Decongestants are the best, but can be come addictive with ...
- ?The Chimney Sweeper? From Songs of ... 314). In one excerpt, ?The Chimney Sweeper,? Blake, through religious symbolism, ... was shaved? gives the impression of the sacrificial lamb, sacrificed ... message of God (B-281). ?The Chimney Sweeper? gives hope to a child ...
- The Global Society Essay, Research Paper A discussion of the Issues of globalisation and ... or to suffer the negative affects of the fragmentation reaction. With the current ... have forgotten that the rights of a Canadian come after the fulfilment of ...
- ... Depression Essay, Research Paper Avoiding Another Depression: The Most Important Challenge For Any Government The ... loss. The bulk of the population did not Perzan 3 suffer the loss of ... a long, tough struggle. The rains came to the prairies and that helped ...