Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
History Of St. Patrick’s Day Essay, Research Paper
St. Patrick of Ireland is probably one of the world’s most popular saints.
Amongst others such as St. Nicolas and St. Valentine, the entire world shares
our love of these saints. This is also a day when everyone is Irish! There
are many stories or legends may as you call them but this is his true story.
Patrick was born somewhere around 385 in Kilpatrick, Scotland. His parents
were Calpurnius and Conchessa, who were Romans living in Britain in charge of
the colonies. As a young teenager, Patrick was captured in a raiding party
and taken into Ireland as a slave to heard and tend sheep. Ireland at this
time was a land of Druids and pagans. He decided to learn the language of the
people who was holding him captive. His enslavement lasted until he was
around 20 years old when he escaped after having a dream from God who had
told him to go to the coast and it was time for him to leave Ireland. There
at the coast he found some sailors who took him back to Britain where he
reunited with his family.
He began studying to become a priest and was ordained by St. Germanus,
who was the bishop of Auxerre whom Patrick had studied under for many years.
Later Patrick was ordained a bishop and went back to Ireland to preach the
Gospel to the people of Ireland. He arrived in Ireland march 25, 433 where
he met a chieftain of one of the tribes. The chief tired to kill Patrick, but
he somehow managed to grab hold of the chief’s arm and hold it tightly and
wouldn’t let it go until he promised that he would be nice to him. He began
preaching throughout Ireland and converting many people. He and his disciples
preached and converted thousands and began building churches all over the
country. Kings, and their families and entire kingdoms were converted to
Christianity when hearing the gospel as Patrick told them about it. Patrick
continued to preach for over 40 years. He continued to work many miracles and
wrote of his love for God in Confessions. After living years in poverty,
traveling and enduring much suffering he died at Saul Ireland on March 17,
St. Patrick’s day is celebrated on March 17; his religious day of
celebration marks the death in the fifth century. The First St. Patrick’s day
parade, took place not in Ireland but in the United States. Irish soldiers
serving in the English military marched through New York City on March 17th
1762. Along with their music the parade helped the soldiers to reconnect
with their Irish as well as fellow Irishmen serving in the army. Basically,
everyone in the world celebrates this day. It is the day of remembering a
great saint who preached the gospel and was willing to die if he was supposed
too because it was something he believed in. You don’t have to be Irish to
participate in this day of celebration all you need to do is gather with
friends and family and kick back and have a good time, remembering where your
own families roots come from.
- History and Symbolism of the Celtic Cross There are many variations of the legends ... is the cross of St. Patrick. There is a legend that while St. Patrick was preaching ... Christian priests. The St. Patrick cross was carved of red sandstone and accompanied ...
- History Of Fed Ex Essay, Research Paper Perry 1 Patrick Perry Webb BA ... welcome sight as deadlines near. History of Moving Freight – The mail ... out (OS 102). History of FE Fred Smith was ... Easson. Absolutely Positively Overnight. St Lukes Press, Memphis, 1988. ...
- The History of Memorial Day Memorial Day ... birthday of G. Washington with speeches and reading from his works. ST PATRIC’S ... celebrate an Irish religious holiday, St Patrick’s Day. It is a day ... food to eat in Ireland. St Patrick’s Day celebrations helped the ...
- ORIGINS AND HISTORY OF THE DULCIMER The dulcimer is a member of the string family ... any member of the psaltrey family, being used by St. Patrick in the ... , although it has been a member of some Irish ensembles throughout history.
- ... ). St. Patrick's Anglican Church (англ.). Prof. John M. Barkley M.A., Ph.D, D.D.,F. R. Hist.S. Short History of the ... Presbyterian Church in Ireland (англ.). Michael Martine St. Patrick’s Sunday ...