Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Child Depression Essay, Research Paper
Childhood depression is not just a mood swing where a child can plainly snap out of it. This disorder goes beyond the sadness of having a bad day and having to cope with it. It’s even worse than dealing with a deceased parent or loss of a friend when the child has to move. This disorder involves the brain, and affects the way the child feels, thinks, and acts. This disease is highly treatable if detected early on and the child can avoid school failure, thoughts of suicide and the like. Here are some facts regarding childhood depression:
? Youth under stress who experience a loss or who have attention, learning, or conduct disorders are at a higher risk for depression. (American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry [AACAP], 1995)
? Almost one-third of six- to twelve-year-old children diagnosed with major depression will develop bipolar disorder within a few years. (AACAP, 1995)
? Four out of every five runaway youths suffer from depression. (U.S. Select Committee on Children, Youth & Families)
? Clinical depression can contribute to eating disorders. On the other hand, an eating disorder can lead to a state of clinical depression. (Stellefson, Medical University of South Carolina, 1998)
Early detection is key to zapping this illness at its core. Many parents and friends feel that if the child is acting in a depressed way around other children and at home that it’s just another “kid” thing, and move on not to worry about the child. If this were the case with an upset stomach, the child would see the Doctor shortly after discovery. This should also be done with depression. Here are a few early signs of childhood depression:
? Persistent sadness and hopelessness
? Withdrawal from friends and from activities once enjoyed
? Increased irritability or agitation
? Missed school or poor school performance
? Changes in eating and sleeping habits
? Indecision, lack of concentration, or forgetfulness
? Poor self-esteem or guilt
? Frequent physical complaints, such as headaches and stomachaches
? Lack of enthusiasm, low energy, or low motivation
? Drug and/or alcohol abuse
? Thoughts of death or suicide
- Depression Essay, Research Paper Throughout the nation and our ... don’t even appear gloomy,” says child psychiatrist Paramjit Kaur Joshi, M.D. of ... /TheRecord/articles/oster_article.htm. “Adolescent Depression.” A.D.A.M. Internet Health Inc., 1999. Address:http ...
- Adolescent Depression Essay, Research Paper Adolescent Depression: the Under Acknowledged Disease Depression is ... pharmaceutical treatment, depressive conditions could escalate and become ... and adolescents. NARSAD Research Newsletter [Internet]. Available HTTP: ...
- ... Essay, Research Paper A Study of Depression and Relationships A primary concern for Psychology research is depression. Depression ... research of books, articles, and Internet pages on depression, I chose to base my paper ... childhood experiences and depression. ...
- Internet Users Turn Addicts Essay, Research Paper If you’re an Internet user, you know who ... so she could be online without interruption. (Associated Press) The Internet is ... , were found to have manic-depression at the time of the ...
- Internet: Network Of Networks Essay, Research Paper The Internet The Internet is, literally, a network of networks. ... the World Wide Web, anyone could publish his or her ideas ... amounts of loneliness, stress, and depression. What we do not know ...