Вопрос о канонизации Ивана Грозного — вопрос о причислении царя Ивана Грозного к лику святых Русской Церкви. Ставится некоторыми крайне националистиче...полностью>>
Будучи историческим существом, человек, вместе с тем, и даже, прежде всего, естественное существо: он - организм, который носит в себе специфические ч...полностью>>
В 1541 году получил высший думный чин конюшего боярина. С 1543 года после вызванного ими падения Шуйских, вместе с братом играл главную роль в упра...полностью>>
- His works include The Sketchbook, A History of New York, The Devil and Tom Walker, and Rip Van Winkle. Despite all of these well known works, Irving never won any awards. Irving’s short stories are The Legend of Sleepy Hollow and The Devil and Tom Walker.
- Born in Westmoreland County, Va., on Feb. 22, 1732, George Washington was the eldest son of Augustine Washington and his second wife, Mary Ball Washington, who were prosperous Virginia gentry of English descent. George spent his early years on the family estate on Pope’s Creek along the Potomac River.
- Washington Irving was born into a family of eleven children on April 3 1783 in the Dutch part of New York City. His father was named William Irving, the originally family name was Irvine, and his mother was Sarah Sanders, from a family of English rectors.
- Washington Irving was a well-known American author who lived in the early nineteenth century . As a child he enjoyed spending his time reading, mostly romance and travel books. This led to the critical development of the styles that he used in his stories.
- In life there is the natural and the supernatural. Often the supernatural in life is easily forgotten or derided. Life becomes too busy and one forgets that there exists good and evil. One should not spurn the urging in the Bible to remember that “we are not fighting against people made of flesh and blood, but against persons without bodies – the evil rulers of the unseen world, those mighty satanic beings and great evil princes of darkness who rule this world; and against huge members of wicked spirits in the spirit world” (Bible 1194).
- More than now. PBC: A lot of your most recent poetry, especially some that you read last night (Corcoran Gallery, Washington, D.C.) contains very spiritual, and specifically Buddhist, imagery.
- Washington Irving Washington Irving was the first native American to succeed as a professional writer. He remains important as a pioneer in American humor and the development of the short story. Irving was greatly admired and imitated in the 19th century.
- Washington Irving was born April 3, 1783, in New York City. He was the eleventh child of Sarah William Irving. His father was a strict man, a merchant and deacon in the Presbyterian Church. He started school at the age of four, but he never took it seriously.
- Goodman Brown was not asleep in this short story. As I read, I believed that Goodman did indeed meet the devil in the forest. If he had indeed dreamt about the trip he was sent on and meeting the devil, I think his nervousness would have been described in more detail then it was.
- The novel opens in a hospital ward with Yossarian meeting the chaplain. Yossarian seems to enjoy confusing the chaplain and causing him trouble although he “fell madly in love with him” (15) We meet a few other characters, none too significant at this point.
- Analyzation encompasses the application of given criteria to a literary work to determine how efficiently that work employs the given criteria. In the analyzation of short stories, the reader uses a brief imaginative narrative unfolding a single incident and a chief character by means of plot, the details so compressed and the whole treatment so organized, a single impression results.
- Irving was an errant husband who occasionally abandoned the family altogether, leaving Mamie, a frustrated and bitter women, alone to deal with Neil and his older brother Danny. Eventually, the parents were divorced, and Neil went to live with relatives in Queens.
- Hey, some saved was better than no saved…right? This form of believing didn’t hold under scrutiny either, as the evolution of religion shows, for example look at today. You could be saved only if you were elected, and once you were elected you could do no wrong, you were just short of divinity here on earth.
- whose economic prescriptions included reduced taxes, less regulation, the elimination of government-granted monopolies and internal tolls and tariffs, ideas that found their rallying cry in the famous slogan, “laissez-faire, laissez-passer.
- Edgar Allen Poe is considered to be one of the best when it comes to Early American Literature. He is most famous for the short stories and poems that he had written. The question posed here is why did Edgar Allen Poe write poems and short stories that are filled with horror and the presence of Death.
- Duke’s first piano lessons came around the age of seven or eight and appeared to not have that much lasting effect upon him. It seemed as if young Duke was more inclined to baseball at a young age.
- The best way to analyze the inconsistencies or the US Supreme Court?s decisions in free speech cases is to look into key cases on both the Supreme Court granting, and limiting free speech.
- To say that music plays a large role in our society would not do justice to one of the most important and popular art forms of yesterday and today. We underestimate the effectiveness and power that music, in any form , can have over even the most insensitive of people.
- The discipline of archaeology can open up the past to us in a way in which we can enter into a dialogue with our ancestors. There are many ways it can do this: stratigraphic excavation, pottery typology, socio-historic interpretation, etc. However, one thread running through this increasingly focused pursuit is that of dating the physical findings to a particular cultural timeline.
- Tobias Wolff, a boy of a troubled childhood, and a very tough father. Tobias Wolff had no intentions of being a writer from the start; it just seemed to of popped into his life. The Amazing part about this writer is that he was not supported by anyone but himself.