In his book The Road Ahead, Bill Gates relates to a non-technical audience the history, growth, and future of technology. He discusses how the trends,...полностью>>
In the past, when people think of the end of the world, they thought it would be caused by a flood, a big storm, or an meteoroid crashing into the ear...полностью>>
Anselm s ontological argument is an explanation that Anselm came up with to prove that God exists. He uses a step by step procedure to persuade you in...полностью>>
- The significance of the reason for existence in the world is a question that boggles the mind of every individual during one time or another in their lives. We all like to believe that we have a purpose in life, and we set goals to achieve such purposes.
- Webster?s Dictionary defines skinheads, “as usually a white male belonging to any of various, sometimes violent, youth gangs whose members have close-shaven hair and often espouse white-supremacist beliefs.” I had the pleasure, more like displeasure, of looking up information on skinheads and found that they are not at all as the dictionary defined them as.
- As in life where some people are chosen to be hated and looked down upon for their intolerable acts in society and also those who are embraced and looked to as the pinnacle of how to live, it is in John Steinbeck’s novel East of Eden. As the dominant and hated figure, there is Cathy Ames for her hellish and always fascinating forms of anti-social acts.
- In the short story “Through the tunnel”, Doris Lessing describes the adventure of Jerry, a young English boy trying to swim through an underwater tunnel. Throughout the story, the author uses the third person omniscient point of view to describe the boy’s surroundings and to show us both what he and the other characters are thinking and what is happening around them.
- Beowulf is an epic poem written, most likely, towards the end of the first millennium. It is considered a masterpiece and is the oldest known piece of English literature. Written in Old English, the story tells of magnificent heroes and terrible monsters, of the struggle between good and evil.
- To generations of schoolchildren, Gulliver s Travels has been a delightful visit to a faraway fantasy kingdom. Upon a closer look, Gulliver s Travels is found to be a potentially critical and very insightful piece, satirizing the political and social systems of eighteenth-century England.
- Throughout the poem, the author allows the reader to see, in action, the true workings of heroes. Men and women who cast aside their own personal needs and desires for the better of others. During this time society sustained a strong honor. The actions that an individual preserved over their lifetime was the title by which they were known to the rest of the land, both good and bad.
- The Random House Webster?s College Dictionary defines bioethics as a field of study and counsel concerned with the implications of certain medical procedures, genetic engineering, and care of the terminally ill. I will be exploring and commenting on how bioethics relates to genetic engineering.
- Realization of one s imminent death can drastically change an individual. Knowing that death is imminent can change the way we look at things, and cause us to confess our sins. In Lord Jim by Joseph Conrad and Macbeth by William Shakespeare, the main characters experience this trauma.
- William Shakespeare addresses the question of identity in The Tragedy of Hamlet, Prince of Denmark through the characters of Hamlet and Ophelia. Although the play is centered on Hamlet?s struggle for identity, a more important issue is addressed through Ophelias? struggle.
- In America, the media holds a powerful and effective position in politicizing and socializing the general populace. The main political function of the media is to inform and analyze while being accountable. However the question of whether the media produces a pluralist democracy, or fosters a one dimensional society still remains unanswered.
- Bioethics: Semester I Term Paper Sometime during February of 1997, a story first appeared on the evening news that many people did not pay attention to until much later — a team of scientists, led by Dr. Ian Wilmut, in the United Kingdom, cloned a sheep named Dolly.
- Watching the dictators Obs: What was the inspiration for The Feast of the Goat ? MVL: In 1975, I went to the Dominican Republic for eight months during the shooting of a film based on my novel Captain Pantoja and the Special Service. It was during this period I heard and read about Trujillo.
- ======================================================================== F I N A L F A N T A S Y 8 ======================================================================== Final Fantasy VIII FAQ Version 1.14 Part I For Sony Playstation By Scott Ong E-Mail: kangning@mbox5.
- “Nihil ex nihilo, I always say”(Gardner 150). These are the words of the infamous Grendel from the novel, titled that same character, by John Gardner. They represent the phrase “life itself is meaningless” which is taught to Grendel by a few different people throughout this novel.
- Beowulf is a well-known Anglo-Saxon poem that has been in English classes around the United States for almost as long as there have been schools around. Beowulf is not an actual picture of historic Denmark, Geatland, or Sweden around 500 A.D., yet it is on a general view, a self-consistent picture, a construction bearing clearly the marks of design and thought.
- Sam Vaknin’s Psychology, Philosophy, Economics and Foreign Affairs Web SitesA. The Loved Enemies – an Introduction An oft-overlooked fact is that the child is not sure that it exists. It avidly absorbs cues from its human environment. ?Am I present??, ?Am I separate??, ?Can I be noticed?? ? these are the questions that compete in his mind with his need to merge, to become a part of his caregivers.
- There exists in every culture a series of folk tales and stories, which make up a part of that culture’s history. These stories, called myths, often venture into the magical and fantastic, with great heroes battling terrible monsters to save exotic lands.
- I have been given the task of comparing three stories of suspense in three different styles of writing. During this essay I will discuss the way each story is written, how and why certain effects are achieved and what elements contribute to the mood and suspense of the story.
- “Amniocentesis” is a 15 line poem written from the point of view of the author about being pregnant late in life. This poem consists of two stanzas, the first containing 6 lines and the second containing 9 lines. In the poem Wolfe comforts her unborn child during the surgical procedure that will require some of the amniotic fluid to be taken out of the womb so that the doctors can analyze it and determine whether or not the fetus has any genetic defects.