Walt Whitman, a famous American poet, was born on May 31, 1819 in the West Hills of Long Island, New York. His mother?s name was Loisia Van Velsor, of...полностью>>
Політичні партії та громадські організації і рухи є складовою частиною політичної системи суспільства. На сучасному етапі в тому чи іншому вигляді вон...полностью>>
Леони́д Миха́йлович Зако́вский (настоящее имя Генрих Эрнестович Штубис, латыш. Henriks Stubis, 1894 — 29 августа 1938) — деятель ВЧК-ОГПУ-НКВД, комисс...полностью>>
- The early twentieth century was a turning point in American history-especially in regards to the acquisition of women’s rights. While the era was considered to be prosperous and later thought to be a happy-go-lucky time, in actuality, it was a time of grave social conflict and human suffering (Parish, 110).
- Margaret Sanger founded a movement in this country that would institute such a change in the course of our biological history that it is still debated today. Described by some as a “radiant rebel”, Sanger pioneered the birth control movement in the United States at a time when Victorian hypocrisy and oppression through moral standards were at their highest.
- Karma is the belief according to which a person?s future life is determined by past and present actions. Every action, bodily, intellectual or ethical, good or bad, big or small will have its effect.
- As the dust clears, a horrible landscape shows itself to anyone who is still alive to see it. World War III has ended only to leave in it’s wake the bleak carnage and destruction of hundreds of nuclear weapons. The planet lay riddled with huge craters full of the remnants of our civilization.
- The stickiness of these substances was thought to slow the movement of sperm into the uterus. Wads of soft wool soaked in lemon juice or vinegar were used as tampons, in the belief that they would make the vagina sufficiently acidic to kill the sperm.
- The term Euthanasia has become well known throughout the country. The word is derived from ancient Greek eu thantos, meaning ?easy death.? Today, euthanasia is referred to as mercy killing. There is much controversy over whether or not the practice is just.
- The Renaissance was a period by which modern scholars consider as that between 1350 ?1600. Abundant in this new age was inventions and individualistic beliefs. Changes in music and cultural behavior were some of the most evident development from its predecessor of the Middle ages.
- When a motherhood becomes the fruit of a deep yearning, not the result of ignorance or accident, its children will become the foundation of a new race.” (Margaret Sanger, 1) Margaret Sanger, known as the founder of birth control, declared this powerful statement.
- My home was ordinary, but good in the sense that my parents were passionately interested in the future of my sister and myself. At the same time, they gave us a good education – not only in school, but at home as well (Gardiner, 1975, p.
- The topic of eugenics cannot be discussed without encountering the Holocaust, but this is as it should be. When contemporary geneticists, genetics counselors and clinical geneticists wonder why it is that genetics receives special attention from those concerned with ethics, the answer is simple and can be found in history.
- The aspect of sex and the use of birth control were touchy issues in the early 20th century. Sex was only for married couples that wanted to have children. The idea of sex before marriage was crazy. Because of all the beliefs about sex being only for procreation and not for pleasure birth control was not needed.
- As soon as movies learned to talk, they began to sing. In 1926, Warner Brothers released the short film April Showers, with Al Jolson singing a trio of songs. Jolson then starred in two silent features that included sound sequences in which he sang and spoke: The Jazz Singer (1927) and The Singing Fool (1928).
- Throughout most of history women generally have had fewer legal rights and career opportunities than men. Wifehood and motherhood were regarded as women’s most significant professions. In the 20th century, however, women in most nations won the right to vote and increased their educational and job opportunities.
- In 1927 Warner Bros. released The Jazz Singer, a silent drama with sound sequences in which Al Jolson sang and spoke. The film was a hit, and within two years American cinema shifted irreversibly to talking films. At first everyone was planted around the microphone, but even as the technology improved, sound still slowed down the onscreen tempo because of the greater detail and realism which it brought to action.
- Over the first Century and a half of American History, Reformers and Radicals found many innovative and effective ways to communicate their ideas to the country. Today, sending a message across the country can be as easy as writing an e-mail, and mass communication can be achieved as easily as setting up a website or buying a television advertisement.
- “God was playing a joke when He made me,” Noel Gallagher once said. “You know, ‘Let’s make this guy a writer and a guitar player, but let’s make him write with his left hand but play with his right, and let’s have him born in the middle of May and give him a Christmas name like Noel.
- Historians have traced homosexual imagery to the very start of American cinema, with the Thomas Edison film The Gay Brothers (1895), directed by William Dickson, in which two men dance together. Female impersonators and women playing male roles, both fixtures in late-19th-century vaudeville and theater, began appearing in split- and one-reel films of the 1900s.
- Alternative FuelsDemand for gasoline has been the driving force in utilization and depletion of crude petroleum, which is a non-renewable resource. In recent years, tendencies have just begun to, at times, favor alternative fuels to power autos. Many possible alternative fuels exist, certainly not without their drawbacks.
- Human life begins at conception Therefore, abortion is murder of a person Personhood at conception is a religious belief, not a provable biological fact Mormon and some Fundamentalist churches believe in personhood at conception; Judaism holds that it begins at birth and abortion is not murder; ensoulment theories vary widely within Protestantism The religious community will never reach consensus on the definition of a “person” or when abortion is morally justified
- A cult will have two main characteristics. Firstly, it often does not tell the truth about itself, or has an extremely altered perception of reality. Secondly, by means of psychological and social control techniques, it makes it’s members virtually unable to resist it’s influence and authority.