In an article in the New England Journal of Medicine, Dr. Jemshed A. Khan claims that Roger Chillingworth poisoned Arthur Dimmesdale with the drug atr...полностью>>
While writing and revising Mrs. Dalloway, Virginia Woolf was corresponding with E.M. Forster, who was working on A Passage to India. In September of 1...полностью>>
There is uncertainty as to why Green chose to have the priest in his novel, The Power and the Glory, be such an appalling person. Normally, one thinks...полностью>>
- He is considered by some people to be one of the most famous composers of the classical period. His career grew with the development of classical style and forms, with the symphony, sonata, string quartet, and other instrumental forms, in the moulding of which he played an important part.
- He was the eldest of twelve children, six of whom never lived past infancy. They lived in a quiet, modest home, which was always kept neat and tidy. Music played a big role in the Haydn home.
- On behalf of the great Franz Joseph Haydn, I write this letter of recommendation to support the admission of a great composer into the International Enlightenment Society. In order for a musician to be eligible for your society, I understand that he must embody the characteristics of the Enlightenment and more specifically, as a composer, his music must possess the characteristics of the Classical period.
- Franz Josef Haydn wrote quite a few concerti for piano, which have never really enjoyed the popularity of such pieces by Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart. While some accuse Haydn`s piano concerti of being too ‘light’ or having ‘no meaning’, I find those to be inaccurate surface impressions.
- The classical period (1750 ? 1810)1750 ?1810 is what we call the classical period, and really any music not composed in this era is not classical music. Most of the well known classical composers come from this time such as Haydn, Mozart and Beethoven who I have written about know.
- Joseph Haydn is regarded as one of the greatest composers of the classical period. He is often called the father of both the symphony and the string quartet, and he founded what is known as the Viennese classical school, which consisted of himself, his friend, Wolfgang Mozart, and his pupil, Ludwig van Beethoven.
- Andrew Crawley describes in his book ( England ), the English people as being profoundly conservative.The English men feel, instinctively, that the present is not only the creation of the contemporaries, but also the result of the work of many past generations.
- The independent republic of Haiti consists of the western third of the island of Hispaniola, the second largest island in the Caribbean. Haiti shares the island with the Dominican Republic. Covering a total area of 10,714 square miles, Haiti has a northern and southern peninsula separated by the Gulf of Gonave.
- In the late 1700’s and early 1800’s the Baroque period gave way to the classical era, introducing many revolutionary new scientific discoveries and theories. This drastically changed the peoples social views and brought on the “age of enlightenment.” With this change in social philosophy came changes in musical trends.
- In the late-19th and early-20th centuries, the Revolutionary War, the Civil War, and the Spanish-American war were grist for American movies' mill, mostly in romantic flag-wavers which boasted little action. The war film as it is known today — violent dramatizations of men in combat — emerged with the world's first experience of modern warfare, World War I.
- Several great American Statesmen were pivotal in shaping and molding the government of the United States. History has since forgotten some of these founding fathers. The ones remembered throughout history are those we hold up for their accomplishments.
- In terms of artists and their influences, the case of Nietzsche and Wagner has been the focal point of discussion between many great academic minds of the last century. The controversy surrounding the relationship has led many to postulate that the eventual break between the two men may have contributed to the untimely death of Wagner in 1882, and Nietzsche’s eight-year writing spurt from 1883 – 1888.
- Marketplace at YaltaDuring an approximate period of forty-two years, the hideous face of communism lay hidden in the shadows behind the Iron Curtain in Eastern Europe. It all started in the early 1930’s, when Adolph Hitler seized control of the economically and sociologically bankrupt Republic of Germany, that tried to pull itself out of the whirlwind in which the devastating defeat of World War I left it, not twenty years before.
- It’s one of the greatest tragedies of all time, yet few of us know the whole story. The story is of the misled, inexperienced Donner Party. It is the story of eighty-one emigrants who traveled in hopes of reaching the land of California. Forty-seven, whose hopes were crushed by many contributing factors.
- Italian opera was composed all over Europe. Metastasio was a famous librettist who supplied Italian opera stories to composers of the late baroque and classic periods.Two of Handel’s best-known Italian operas are Giulio Cesare and Rodelinda.The Italian city to the south of Rome that became the trend-setting center of opera was Naples.
- Federalism was selected as the most appealing system of government in 1787, primarily because of lack of feasible alternatives. Confederacy had been tried by the 13 states under the Articles of Confederation, and found to be lacking, in that it did not provide adequate cohesiveness between the individual nation-states.
- In Salem, Massachusetts, a dozen teen-age girls and a black slave woman are caught dancing in the woods around a bubbling cauldron. Today, you wouldn’t even use the word “caught.” You might think these girls were strange, but you’d hardly call the cops on them.
- The Sedition Act of 1798 For the first few years of Constitutional government, under the leadership of George Washington, there was a unity, commonly called Federalism that even James Madison (the future architect of the Republican Party) acknowledged in describing the Republican form of government– ? And according to the degree of pleasure and pride we feel in being republicans, ought to be our zeal in cherishing the spirit and supporting the character of Federalists.
- This book is set in Massachusetts, in April 18th and 19th of the year 1775. Adam Cooper is 15 and is a bit different, he likes to chant nonsense spells. His father, Moses is a strict, argumentative father that never compliments his son. Levi is Adams little 11 year old brother, he is a snitch.
- Recently, President Clinton signed into law the National Missile Defense Act of 1 . What is a national missile defense (NMD)? A NMD is in theory a technological shield that could destroy all incoming missiles (Cirincione and Von Hippel 1). A NMD would most likely employ ground-based missiles that would intercept and destroy incoming intercontinental ballistic missiles (ICBM).