In every ground breaking scientific topic there seems to be controversy, and stem cells are no exception. Stem cell research is so controversial becau...полностью>>
In 1994 Governor Pete Wilson and the California Legislature passed a referendum that cut assistance to illegal aliens. When the House Republicans hear...полностью>>
In Arouet de Voltaire?s Candide, Candide travels the world to meet many people and see many places. He is not the sharpest pencil in the box and this ...полностью>>
- Early Western CivilizationA Gift of Peace from the Past, The Ancient Olympics Since 1896, the year the Olympics were resurrected from ancienthistory, the Olympics have been a symbol of the camaraderie and harmonypossible on a global scale. The gathering of athletic representatives,the pride of the pack, from participating governments, even throughoutthe recent Cold War period, is proof that world unity is possible; justas it was in Ancient Greece with the polis or city-states.
- In 2 B.C.E, the Greeks settled the lands that were surrounded by the waters of the Aegean Sea and created a culture that shaped Western heritage forever. The Greeks made history when they settled in Mesopotamia, Egypt, Asia Minor, and Syria-Palestine.
- It is a common misconception, in our modern day society, that more money, intelligence, power and fame are signs of success, or progress. This is not a coincidence, but a very old concept dating back to the rise of civilization. The Babylonians believed this notion, as did some other more successful empires such as the Greek and Roman.
- According to Webster?s Ninth New Collegiate Dictionary, civilization is ?a relatively high level of cultural and technological development, specifically the stage of cultural development at which writing and the keeping of written records is attained?.
- The Mayan Civilization was an Ancient Native American civilization that grew to be one of the most advanced civilizations in the Americas. The people known as the Maya lived in the region that is now eastern and southern Mexico, Guatemala, Belize, El Salvador, and western Honduras.
- Early Western Civilization The Return to Mecca, Muhammad and the Beginnings of Islam Muhammad, whose full name was Abu al-Qasim Muhammad ibn ‘Abd Allah ibn’Abd al-Muttalib ibn Hashim, was born in Mecca around 570 AD after thedeath of his father, ‘Abd Allah.
- The three cultures that developed to form the basis for Western thought were the Hebrews, the Greeks, and the Romans. The Hebrews were the first culture to develop and spent their early years as slaves. They rebuilt the temple, and created the first five books of the Old Testament.
- One aspect of Christianity is shown when they state words pertaining to the Christian religion. ?He spawned in that slime, conceived by a pair of those monsters born of Cain, murderous creatures banished by God, punish for the crime of Abel?s death. The Almighty drove those demons out, and their exile (Beowulf Advent 11).
- But usually it left me with an impression that women did not contribute much of significance to our civilization other than caretakers of their families. Althought women contributed to our culture in many diffrent ways, in fact women accomplished far more than we officially give them credit for.
- Architecture, the practice of building design and its resulting products; customary usage refers only to those designs and structures that are culturally significant. Architecture is to building as literature is to the printed word. Vitruvius, a 1st-century BC Roman, wrote encyclopedically about architecture, and the English poet Sir Henry Wotton was quoting him in his charmingly phrased dictum: “Well building hath three conditions: Commoditie, Firmenes, and Delight.
- Among the earliest objects that have survived are stone figures archaeologists have given the title of Venus of willendorf a small stone figure found in Austria, dating from 0, B.C.. I think it is a symbolic sculpture most probably designed to represent and call forth human fertility.
- I.It is important to reflect one?s own national and cultural identity to understand what is different among people of different nations. History teaches us that culture always changes because of internal or external influences, even our own cultures and values change over time.
- The civilization of ancient Egypt is significant in several ways. Together with those of Mesopotamia, India, and China, it was one of the earliest civilizations, and it is perhaps the best example of continuous cultural evolution based on internal stimuli, rather than the complex mix of internal and external factors found, for example, in Mesopotamia.
- On any given day in the United States… 10,657 babies are born. (US Census Bureau). Twenty of these babies are born with Fetal Alcohol Syndrome. Twenty may seem as though it is not a lot, but when you compare it to the fact that this number is more than HIV positive, Muscular Dystrophy, Spina Bifida and Down Syndrome combine it creates a whole new parameter.
- Millions of years ago the procreant low lands in the river basins of Euphrates and Tigris was probably the home of some animal life, but no great civilizations. However, things change over time, and just a few thousand years ago the same fertile low lands in the river basins of Euphrates and Tigris became the home of a very rich and complex society.
- China began to trade silk and gold with Central Asia in regular basis and in return, China imported spices, woolen fabrics, and military projects from India.
- The roots of Indian civilization stretch back in time to pre-recorded history. The earliest human activity in the Indian sub-continent can be traced back to the Early, Middle and Late Stone Ages (400, -200, BC). The first evidence of agricultural settlements on the western plains of the Indus is roughly contemporaneous with similar developments in Egypt, Mesopotamia and Persia.
- Today’s religious beliefs, governmental structures, laws and traditions of social behavior find their roots in the development of three main belief systems – Judaism, Christianity and Islam. Although other religious movements have developed throughout the years, these three belief systems have had the most impact on civilizations of the West.
- World War I, the first globally destructive conflict that the Western Civilization produced, has been the subject of various analysis, interpretations and reevaluations of the various causes that led to it. Initially, the guilt was placed upon Germany and its allies.
- Islam, as a prime example, has been characterized inequitably by historians and the media as a religion of violence.