Дана робота є звітом про практику по менеджменту на ВАТ Уманський завод "Мегомметр" Метою практики є вивчення процесу управління на даному п...полностью>>
Основной задачей садово-паркового и ландшафтного строительства является озеленение территорий города, частных секторов и интерьеров При грамотном озел...полностью>>
Производственное республиканское унитарное предприятие «Минский электротехнический завод имени В И Козлова» создано в соответствии с приказом Министер...полностью>>
Характеристика предприятия НПРУП «Экран», его организационной структуры и анализ производимой продукции
Научно-производственное республиканское унитарное предприятие “Экран” (далее НПРУП «Экран»), основанное на праве хозяйственного ведения, создано Минис...полностью>>
- Imagine you are applying for admission to University of Maryland. You have a 3.5 or 3.7 GPA, honors courses, AP classes. 1300, 1400 on the SATs and have a list of after school activities like all state band and Student council. You don t get in. But, an African American with a 1100, 3.
- The writer Mary Anne Warren is focusing on describing the current practices in many organizations today in regards to the implementing a goal vs. a quota system for the purposes of affirmative action. She defines a quota as “Those who use the term “quotas” pejoratively tend to assume that the numerical standards will be set so high or enforced so rigidly that strong reverse discrimination that is, the deliberate hiring of demonstrably less well qualified candidates will be necessary to implement them.
- A major controversy encompassing the country is the issue of affirmative action. Many believe that the abolition, or at least restructure, of affirmative action in the United States will benefit the nation for many logical reasons. Originally, affirmative action began as an attempt to eliminate discrimination and provide a source of opportunity; affirmative action did not begin as an attempt to support just minorities and women.
- The policy of affirmative action in education will no longer be needed in the near future. In the past, however, legislators determined that in order to prevent racial discrimination affirmative action would be needed. Recent demographic studies indicate that the Caucasian race will steadily decrease as the present populations of minorities increase.
- “All persons born or naturalized in the United States, and subject to the jurisdiction thereof, are citizens of the United States and of the State wherein they reside. No State shall make or enforce any law which shall abridge the privileges or immunities of citizens of the United States; nor shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law; nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
- In recent times, virtually every great political leader has recognized the truth of affirmative action. But, what is affirmative action one might ask? According to Merriam-Webster s Collegiate Dictionary, Tenth Edition: an active effort to improve the employment or educational opportunities of members of minority groups and women.
- After the United States Congress passed the Civil Rights Act in 19 4, it became apparent that certain business traditions, such as seniority status and aptitude tests, prevented total equality in employment.
- Encarta Encyclopedia defines Affirmative Action as the ?system of policies used in the United States to increase opportunities for minorities and women by favoring them in hiring and promotion, college admissions, and the awarding of government contracts.
- It seems as if the roaring debate over affirmative action has again emerged. Much of the debate centers about education. Critics appear to believe that a policy to aggressively counter discrimination against minority groups is no longer necessary and, further, serves only to create unfair privileges.
- Everyone in America has certain rights today written in a government document called the U.S. Constitution, but who is to say that they are enforced? One could turn on the television, read the newspaper, or listen to the radio only to hear about how someone is treated unfairly due to this evil action referred to as discrimination.
- Affirmative action is a term used to describe federal initiatives that require people responsible for providing economic and educational opportunities to consider a candidate’s race, sex, or disability, especially if the individual’s minority affiliation has suffered past discrimination (Affirmative Action 1).
- America is the land of opportunity, but to be fully qualified for the status, it needs to be color-blind, race-blind, and gender-blind. Affirmative Action began as a way to stop discrimination, but as new laws have been added to it, it has become reverse discrimination.
- Affirmative Action was created in an effort to help minorities leap the discriminative barriers that were ever so present when the bill was first enacted, in 19 5. At this time, the country was in the wake of nationwide civil- rights demonstrations, and racial tension was at an all time high.
- Would you like a nice promotion or an extra Christmas bonus check in the mail when you go home? Or for the people that don?t work would you like to go out and qualify for a job you know your perfect for. Well you can forget all about it if you work for a company that has a policy called affirmative action.
- “That teacher was selected for affirmative action reasons.” That is how I first heard the term used — implying a lack of ability on the part of a teacher at my high school.
- Affirmative action legalizes discrimination (Steele 1990, 39). "I thought discrimination was illegal in this country (Buchanan 1995, 1)." Also, if this discrimination continues racism in the United States may become worse.
- Richard said, ?Yeah Nick, I got in!? Nick was astonished. Richard?s GPA was only 3.7, and he receive a combined score of 1100 on his SATs. After a long pause he replied, ?It?s because I?m black, Nick,? Richard felt bad for his friend.
- The phrase “affirmative action” was first used in a racial discrimination context in Executive Order No. 10,925 issued by President John F. Kennedy in 1961. This executive order indicated that federal contractors should take affirmative action to ensure that job applicants and employees are treated “without regard to their race, creed, color, or national origin.
- Affirmative Action efforts were started in 1964 to end the long history of overlooking qualified people of color and women from higher education. Affirmative Action sets standards for a business or office of admissions, so that a white man does not have the upper-hand over an equally or greater educated minority.
- According to Cheryl Perry-League, Director of Equal Opportunity of the Port of Oakland, every business operating on Port of Oakland owned land must have a standing affirmative action program on record and businesses bidding to do work for the Port of Oakland must have an acceptably diverse workforce.