You used to be my best friend, Homie to the end. To think we were like sisters at times. You knew me better than I knew myself, *censored*!! that’s fu...полностью>>
Though born in Cleveland in 1858, the grandson of a white man and the son of free blacks, Charles W. Chesnutt grew up in Fayetteville, North Carolina ...полностью>>
When my world seems to be whirling and spinning out of control and all of the demands of the day seem to squeeze me until I can hardly breathe, there ...полностью>>
- The play Angels in America: A Gay Fantasia on National Themes, by Tony Kushner, contained situations in which characters’ personalities underwent great changes from the beginning of the play to the end. One of the most significant and noticeable changes was that of Harper.
- The United States has invaded, embargoed and bombed sovereign nations at the cost of several million people, all under the guise of capitalism and free trade. Whether it was the overthrow of the democratically-elected government in Guatemala or the carpet bombing of North Vietnam, the defeat of communism was always the justification.
- The topic of this paper was chosen out of the conviction that humanity is suffering today from a number of serious social problems related to women and to the interrelations of the two sexes in society. Although these problems may be more pronounced, disturbing, more debilitating for some of us than for others, there are probably few if any regions of the contemporary world whose citizens have not felt in some way the repercussions of these problems.
- There have been people from many different countries, nations, and religions who have decided to migrate from other places to the United States throughout history. But perhaps none have come in more mass than the Chinese. With declining economic and political conditions at home, many literally saw coming to the United States as a “golden” opportunity.
- It was a relatively small but appreciative group of St. Louis theatregoers who braved the first major winter storm of the season to show up at the Fox Theatre Tuesday night (January 2nd) for the first part of Tony Kushner’s Angels in America , entitled Millennium Approaches .
- For an epidemic that has exploded around the world and is claiming thousands of lives everyday, AIDS (acquired immunodeficiency syndrome) surfaced very quietly in the United States. On June 4, 1981, a weekly newsletter published by the Center for Disease Control (CDC) in Atlanta reported five unusual cases of pneumonia that had been diagnosed in Los Angeles residents over the previous few months.
- It was late at night. A lady pulled into a gas station and walked inside to get something to eat and pay for the gas she pumped. While she was paying for the gas, a young boy snuck into her car with a knife. The store clerk was quick to react as the lady left the store.
- What is the “super predator”? They are young hypercriminals who are committing acts of violence of unprecedented coldness and brutality. This newest phenomenon in the world of crime is perhaps the most dangerous challenge facing society and law enforcement ever.
- Recently, I was asked to write about a cultural icon, that is, something in our society that has become a constant or standard. Fraternities, Supermodels, Drugs, Hollywood, Gangs: the choices seemed endless. Yet among these artifacts, one seems to have come from the operation of the others: Rape Culture.
- It was first thought that the rats themselves transmitted the Bubonic Plague because when people found dead rats in the towns’ streets, they would usually flee their civilization in fear of the rodents.
- But just what was a hippie? Hippies were mostly young people who were often characterized by long hair and flowing skirts. They had very confident convictions, particularly in regard to the Vietnam War.
- The two key factors the report identified was the market share loss and profitability declines an the scale economy disadvantages in technology, distribution, and manufacturing.
- Young Americans enjoyed watching gangster films during the 1930s. Before President Roosevelt?s New Deal, gangsters were without doubt the American cinema?s most striking heroes. The film industry?s love affair with members of criminal gangs was only natural, they were colorful, violent, and charismatic men and women whose law-breaking activities were followed by millions of law abiding Americans.
- The Critics of Keynesianism: A Survey “He who knows only his own side of the case, knows little of that.”–John Stuart MillJohn Maynard Keynes’ General Theory marks a turning point in intellectual history. In less than a decade since its publication, the numerous converts to Keynesianism attained dominance in both the academic and political realms.
- The Three Gorges Dam project on China’s Yangzi River is the world’s largest hydroelectric undertaking. While Chinese leaders say the dam will improve river navigation, prevent periodic flooding, and provide the needed electricity for China’s growing economy, many doubt that the dam will be able to meet the proponents’ claims and instead point to evidence of environmental catastrophe if it is built.
- The philosopher Plato once said, The Law, like a good archer, should aim at the right measure of punishment . In society today, crime and injustice rule the modern world. Because of this, prisons have become a permanent part of America s criminal justice system.
- The book questions the belief system of Western medicine as well as the Hmong beliefs and cultural practices. Fadiman encourages us to think of the root of Western culture and medicine as well as learning about the Hmong?s beliefs.
- A child’s game played with a wooden bat and a small white ball is “our national pastime.” Baseball has climbed from being played by children in their backyards on Sunday afternoons to becoming a multimillion dollar corporation over the last hundred years.
- Sadly, there is too much hatred and greed in the world to abolish slavery and racism forever. Frederick Douglass? Independence Day Speech at Rochester in 185 , is one of the most profound speeches of American history.
- The FBI has committed various crimes through their COINTELPRO (Counterintelligence Program). They have deployed various tactics in order to disrupt and destroy various radical programs and organizations. These tactics have ranged from spreading of false rumors all the way down to political assassinations.