Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The term Mental retardation or Mentally challenged which most people prefer,is
when a persn can t really think for themselves. The person can t do what most normal
people can do such as communicate with others properly or be able to do schoolwork ,
also they have a low attention span. For exampe if you were talking to them for let s say
20 minutes, maybe after ten minutes they would get frustrated and their mind would be
wondering somewhere else and it would be as if you were talking to a wall. Mental
retardation can be caused by the following genetic conditions, problems during the
pregnancy,problems at birth, and poverty cultural deprivation.
What happens in Genetic conditions is the babies genes are abnormal and this can
be caused by things like infections or overexposure to x-rays. An example of a Gene
disorder is Down Syndrome, which is when there is an abnormal gene count. Another
example of a Gene disorder inherited is Fragile X Syndrome when the X there is a
disorder in the X chromosome. In genetic disorders mental retardation can be either
caused by man or be inherited from the babies family.
Another cause of Mental retardation is when problems occur at pregnancy. The
baby s mom may be drinking alcohol which is damaging to the baby or maybe the mother
is smoking cigarrettes or taking in illegal substance which can really screw up the baby.
Also could have hiv which would possibly pass on to the baby or the mother may have
S.T.D. s which can also cause harm to the baby.
Next is problems at the baby s birth . For example if the baby s is underweight
then that would foreshadow future problems. Another thing is if the baby was dropped
that could cause serious damage to the brain permanently.Some problems which may
damage the baby s brain could be chicken pox which could turn serious or measles or
Hib disease which sometimes leads to meningitis or encephalitis which damages the
brain. The baby could also be abused which causes brain damage too.
Last but not least is poverty and cultural deprivation. Like if a kid doesn t have
the proper amount of food to eat they will be malnutritioned and if they catch a simple
flu that most people would be able to get rid of in 24 hours this could damage their brian.
The reason being is because the wouldn t have the vitamins and antibodies in them to
help fight the cold and it could get worser and worser to the point where their brain is
effected. Also when a person insn t given the chance to use their brain for a long time
this can also cause mental retardation because the brain has no use if the person isn t
using it, it is just taking up space so it kind of slows down. This usually happens where
people can t afford to send their children to school.
Mental retardation can be caused by numerous things such as
genetic disorders,poverty and cultural deprivation,problems before and after the baby s
birth and problems during the pregnancy. Just from reading this a person can see having a
baby is for those who that are responsible enough to take care of their children and even
if the child has a defect at birth they have to accept the child.
- Mental Retardation Essay, Research Paper Mental retardation has been ... paper, I will give the reader more knowledge about mental retardation ... chapter 2 Historical Perspective Mental Retardation. ?Mental Retardation,? Microsoft Encarta Online Encyclopedia ...
- Mental Illness Essay, Research Paper The name The name of my book is Mental Illness by ... good chance of being mentally retarded. The reason I chose to write ... growth; and (3) mild to moderate mental retardation. FAS is weird to me ...
- ... Mental Illness Essay, Research Paper Specific Purpose: To inform my audience how treatment of mental ... Cited A American History of Mental Retardation . Disablity studies web ring. ... .htm A American History of Mental Retardation . Disablity studies web ring. ...
- Schitzophrenia And Other Mental Disorders Essay, Research Paper Schitzophrenia and Other Mental Disorders By: ... infancy, childhood, and adolescence. Mental retardation is characterized by the inability ... in the same culture. A retarded person go through a lot ...
- Fetal Alcohol Syndrome Essay, Research Paper On any given day in ... of mental retardation. Approximately, one out of 750 live birth are born each ... ? a. Memory deficits. b. Growth retardation c. Lack of impulse control d. Mental retardation with IQ below ...