Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
The word truth seems easy enough to define, but is it really that simple? The dictionary
definition is clear, ?1. quality of being true. 2. something that is true.? (Oxford 550).
These are the definitions that deal with empirical reality. For example, the sky is blue, or
two plus two equals four. This is the truth that deals with reason and the scientific
method. Then there is the truth that is different for each individual, and is out of the realm
of scientific truth. Philosophical truth can not be proven nor disproved.
Empirical truth is usually the definition that comes to mind when speaking of the
word truth. As stated above, scientific truth deals with reason. When a mother says to
her son, ? Is that a lie or you telling me the truth? ? The mother is wanting to know the
empirical truth. If someone says that it is windy outside, the most common thing for a
person to do is go outside or look through a window to see if it is windy. If the leaves are
falling and the trees are swaying the conclusion is that, that person has made an accurate
proposition, or was telling the truth. Empirical truth can be proven or disproved.
Philosophical truth is usually an individual?s or group?s theory about the truth. For
example, the Jewish faith claims Jesus was not the messiah, the Catholics say he was. This
is a fact that can not be empirically proven or disproved. When we ask a person how they
feel we are expecting that they will give us a truthful answer. The person could be lying
intentionally or unintentionally, assuming that this particular person is the only one that
can answer this certain question, we have no way of verifying the answer. The only
person that can say the answer is a lie is the person lying. Some people may think the
meaning of life is to wear purple socks, no one can prove nor disprove that theory.
In conclusion, I know that both are real truths. None of the above truths,
empirical nor philosophical, are more important that the other. One kind of truth may
hold more value for some people than others. Truth is a matter of perspective.
?Truth.? The Oxford Color Dictionary and Thesarus. 1996.
- The Future Essay, Research Paper The word future in the dictionary means: The indefinite period of time ... after you read this essay. The future is all that ... type of plane toward the end of the 21st century for ... will live in today’s Third World nations by 2005. ...
- Macbeth Essay, Research Paper The Weird Sisters had an influence on Macbeth. The first apparitions made ... seem inadequate (Schlegel 408). The third influence was from Macbeth himself ... anyone who might be a threat. Toward the end of the play, he became scared ...
- Privateers Essay, Research Paper The word “privateer” conjures a romantic image in the minds of most Americans ... making from colonial trade. The provisions of the Navigation Acts ensured ... of England’s was the colonial trade, and the American privateer had ...
- ... Trade Essay, Research Paper The principle of free trade is non-interference, This was written by the ... conceptions that the pursuit of wealth was a zero-sum game, wrote that ... it would benefit Britain greatly if the other states ...
- The Quest For Truth Essay, Research Paper The Quest for the Truth To find truth, you must open yourself up ... story than the next guy, but is it worth it. The story only ... lasts the moment and it taints the memory of the ...