Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
What I Learned In Theater Essay, Research Paper
Ok, so the only reason I joined theater class was because I needed an easy A. A blow-off class of some sort, to balance out the rest of my schedule. I got much more than that. I am taking with me a sense of self-worth, and confidence. I acquired the ability to think on my feet, and the motivation to get up and do something when faced with a new situation, not just giggle and turn red.
The biggest thing, I think, is the ability to just talk to people and not be worried about what they think. After all, I can?t be embarrassed after I think about some of the stuff that I did this year in front of the class. I found that I can go ahead and talk to someone I don?t know, instead of just standing there, awkwardly.
After spending five weeks on improvisation during the first semester, I can think on my feet. It also gives me something to do when the telemarketers call. I can think of something to say when I?m talking to one of dad?s clients. And of course, if someone gets into a situation that they can?t quite explain, I can whip up a story in no time flat, (not that I would ever get into trouble or anything).
After taking the class, I never have my back to someone when I?m talking. I can project, (sort of). I know what Snagglepus is talking about when he says ?Exit, stage right!? Stage fright is no longer a big thing for me. I can play a crazy role very well. I can talk in British and Russian accents, (??Daahlink, ve must get moose and skverrl!?). I can pick out bad actors/actresses in movies and shows. I have a deep respect for the theater arts.
I am not much of an actress, but I love being backstage, all stressed out, trying to iron out all the last minute wrinkles before the show. Being in theater class introduced me to Theatre Club, which gave me a chance to be a part of this year?s production. I was glad to do everything from pinning up costumes, to reprogramming the light board for the fifty-eighth time, to just being the gopher, or listening to a nervous actress go over her dramatic solo one last time.
It?s just knowing that I am part of the whole thing, working with so many people for so long, then watching it all come together. Backstage craft wasn?t a big part of the class, but the relationship/every-one-is-a-link-universal-truth part of it was an undertone lesson throughout the whole class. When we had to work with people that we had known all our lives, but had never talked to before, and create something; that was cool.
Through theater class, I got introduced to the lighting and sound room, which I love. I guess it?s a power trip, or something, but I just feel good knowing that I am the first female student to ever run the school?s light board. I like being in charge, and being able to lock the door, and not let anyone in. Next year, I will have to train a sophomore to take over my job, before I graduate, which seems pretty scary, and puts my remaining high school timeframe in perspective.
I have tried to outline some of random thoughts about the past year?s third hour class. It wasn?t the blow-off class I was expecting, and it helped me get through a few of my other classes. In college, I may pursue the backstage positions, but honestly, I don?t think that theater will be a major part in my life as I go riding off into the sunset, but I?ve enjoyed it all the same.
- ... In Geography Essay, Research Paper GY202 Geographic Thought Essay #1 – The Five Themes in Geography ... scope and sequence in Geography with suggested learning results for the ... layer exponentially (film – Geography tutor). Only recently did our governments ...
- India And Egypt In 560BC Essay, Research Paper In 560 BC the world saw ... by. These ideas are what Buddha learned by sitting under the tree ... , Kena, Katha, Prasna, Mundaka, Mandukya, Taittiriya, Aitareya, Chandogya, Brhadaranyaka, Svetasvatara, Kaushitaki ...
- Aspects In Marianella Essay, Research Paper Teodoro Golf n goes to ... my soul. Florentina: what? No,no,no. Teodoro, Pablo is crazy ... novel, I felt surprised at what happened. I had originally thought ... it is used. I also learned more spanish vocabulary words. ...
- Conflict In Kosovo. Essay, Research Paper For all this ... untouched. Even the provincial theater in Pristina was placed under “ ... and the world soon learned that nearly 80 Kosovar Albanians ... compare the situation in Kosovo today with that in Bosnia in 1991, but ...
- A Hawk In Swingtime Essay, Research Paper A Hawk In Swingtime “I think he ... fact. I’m always interested in learning about where my favorite ... for the 12th Street Theater in Kansas City. That ... with the Ramblers in early ‘35 in The Hague; with the Berry’s in ...