Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
States Of Matter Essay, Research Paper
Kinetic Theory ?
All matter is made up of particles which are in constant motion. Solids ·
Fixed shape and volume ·
Particles are held together by relatively strong
forces, and are incompressible ·
Particles do not have free movement, but can
vibrate about fixed positions ·
An increase in temperature will give the particles
more energy, the amplitude of vibration increases, therefore the solid expands Liquids ·
No fixed shape, but a fixed volume ·
Particles are further apart (due to weaker
forces), so there is slight compressibility ·
Forces are present between particles, but weaker
than in solid so particles can move throughout the bulk of the liquid Gases ·
No fixed shape or volume ·
Particles are very far apart, so are easy to compress ·
Intermolecular forces are negligible, but do
exist. Particles move in a random fashion. Diffusion Diffusion is the process by which a gas fills all
the space available to it. Gases will diffuse (mix with each other) because the
particle are moving randomly and quickly in all directions. Lighter particles
diffuse quicker than heavier particles. evaporation melting boiling SOLID LIQUID GAS freezing condensation sublimation Changes from solid to liquid to gas are
endothermic processes Changes from gas to liquid to solid are exothermic
processes If energy is
supplied to a solid, its particles will vibrate more. If they vibrate enough,
they may separate from each other and become free to move. This is called
melting. At the melting point, energy goes into breaking forces between the
particles, and so there is no temperature increase. The temperature at which
the solid melts is called the melting point. Heating a liquid
makes the particles move faster. At evaporation, some molecules move faster
than others and have more energy, so they overcome the forces of attraction. If
the temperature is increased further, the kinetic energy of the particles
increases until the boiling point, when the forces between the particles are
almost completely broken. At the boiling point energy goes into breaking the
forces between the particle, and so there is no temperature increase. For an impure
sample the melting point is lowered and the boiling point is raised.
- Decriminalization Of Steroids Essay, Research Paper The Decriminalization of Steroids Everyone has ... 1997 (Not including motor vehicle related deaths), ... Cowart, V.S., Anabolic Steroids: Altered States (Carmel, IN: Benchmark Press, ... , IL; Human Kinetics, 1998).
- Effects Of Music Essay, Research Paper Effects Of Music On The Mind ... It can be stated that this kind of improvement may not ... knowledge through these concrete, kinetic, and cognitive experiences (Collett ... For adults it is a matter of choice, but when they choose ...
- ... Essay, Research Paper Alternative Sources of Fuel and Energy Written By, Kris Table of ... to 2 percent of the United States energy supplied by ... turbines convert the kinetic energy in the wind ... of wind farms. Wind energy is a free renewable source, so no matter ...
- Fusion Essay, Research Paper Fusion reactions are inhibited ... the average nucleus contains sufficient kinetic energy to undergo fusion. ... state of matter, distinct from the solid, liquid, and gaseous states. ... nuclei to have lower kinetic energy than is needed ...
- ... three main, or fundamental phases of matter. Each one has a different density and ... ’s laws. Boyle’s law states that the volume of gas varies indefinitely with ... theory. The kinetic molecular theory states that any substance composed of particles is ...