Monkey Essay, Research Paper
Monkey Represented as a Human Character
Monkey is created by the author as an individual entity that resembles the characteristic of an ordinary human being. It is quite obvious that the audience would better understand the idea hidden in the literature if the characteristics of the protagonist are closely related to those of the reader. In Monkey , the author carefully parallels the traits of Monkey to the lives of human beings. Then why does the author portray so much resemblance between Monkey and human? The author s approach in attracting the audience by using symbolism successfully accomplishes the intention in the novel.
All humans feel a need, a hunger for the things that benefit their way of living. Monkey easily symbolizes many ordinary humans in this world. Monkey s life represents a journey that reflects the lives of most human beings. From the beginning of the novel,Monkey expresses hunger that is overpowered by greed. Similar to human beings,Monkey first seeks knowledge, then power, and finally enlightenment. Monkey s arrogance brought by greed is displayed when he proclaims, why do you not bow down to me as your king? . Monkey s desire to acquire more than the apparent limit is more understandable to the audience, because human beings are able to empathize with this greed felt by Monkey.
All people fight with human nature to alter the natural phenomenon that occurs in life. In comparison, Monkey struggles to alter nature by demanding immortality. Human beings struggle to change nature in order to achieve higher status in society or personal satisfaction. Monkey seeks immortality to prevent nature from taking its course so that he may be able to rule his kingdom forever. Readers are able to better understand Monkey s adventure to find the impossible in life. Man looks for opportunities to expand his
potentials just as Monkey strives to increase his powers. During the course of life, there are obstacles that hinder the path to acquiring the impossible powers. The forces of good and evil goes up against each other throughout the novel. The tension between good and evil comes natural throughout the book just as human beings experience hardship in everyday lives.
Another similarity portrayed between Monkey s world and human civilization are the values and the customs they hold. Chinese moral values are deeply incorporated into the world of Monkey. One lesson represented is the loyalty to one s family which is a very important part of Chinese culture. The vengeance of a father by his son is twice seen with Tripitaka and King Crow-cock. The audience can relate much better and understand the circumstances, because the same values hold true in human s life. The author intentionally makes the setting parallel to the ordinary life of humans even though it seems
like Monkey s world is extraordinary.
Throughout the novel, Monkey struggles with many hardships which in turn
teaches a moral lesson to the readers. By making Monkey resemble to a human character,the author can approach the audience with a personal closeness. The author s intention successfully achieves his goal by arousing the reader s mind to learn the morals and enjoy the entertaining adventures of Monkey.
- ... sophistication of linguistic research underlying each concept. Enormous fields ... syllables, or even to mimic nonsense syllables. The ... on a piece of paper specifically what linguistic (verbal ... puts into action (here represented as soil). Upon the germination ...
- The Slaughter House Five Essay, Research Paper THE NOVEL - THE PLOT - ... writing. Kilgore Trout is a manic version of Kurt Vonnegut, who ... , for all that the Bible represents as a statement of ethics, a ... narrator and Billy Pilgrim represent the author. In this ...
- Kama Sutra Essay, Research Paper PREFACE IN the literature of ... divided the animal world. As Venus was represented by the Greeks to ... into verse or prose sentences represented by signs or symbols. There ... sprouts and fruits of the mango trees. Eating the fibres of ...
- Psyschology Study On Drinking Essay, Research Paper Abstract In response to ... day) was almost twice as high as women’s (8.9 grams per ... the use of a non-representative sample of gay males, ... (Rep. No. R-2308-AF). Santa Monica, CA: Rand Corporation. Rohsenow, D. ...
- Macbeth Attitude Changes Essay, Research Paper WILLIAM SHAKESPEARE: THE AUTHOR ... way. MACBETH: MALCOLM Malcolm represents the rightful order that ... God help thee, poor monkey! But how wilt thou do ... who is described as being just as brave as Macbeth. The Thane ...