Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Diabetes Essay, Research Paper
Diabetes is a very serious disease that attacks millions of
people around the world. It can strike at any age and can happen
to anyone. Although we are not exactly sure about the causes of
diabetes, we believe that it has to do with the body’s own immune
system attacking and destroying insulin-producing cells in the
Without insulin, the glucose that we need to live, has a
hard time entering the cells of the body that need it. If too much
glucose builds up in the blood, then a diabetic may begin to have
headaches or blurry vision. They may become very thirsty and have
dry, itchy skin. If glucose levels go too low, then a diabetic may feel
shaky, tired, hungry, confused, or nervous.
There are two types of diabetes. They are called Type 1
and Type 2 Some symptoms of diabetes include: excessive thirst;
constant hunger; sudden weight loss for no reason; rapid, hard
breathing; sudden vision changes or blurry vision; and drowsiness
or exhaustion. These symptoms can occur at any time.
Type 1 diabetes is more common in Americans then Type
2. It has affected over 1 million Americans with 30,000 more
people diagnosed every year (13,000 of those being children). Type
1 diabetes can occur at any age but is most commonly diagnosed
during childhood. In Type 1 diabetes, a person’s pancreas
produces little or no insulin, and because insulin is necessary for
life, people with Type 1 diabetes must take several insulin injection
shots each day for the rest of their lives. Although insulin allows a
person to stay alive, it does not cure diabetes or prevent it’s
complications. The blood sugar level of the diabetic must be
tested several times daily. One this is done by pricking the finger
with a special needle and placing the blood into a machine that will
carefully read it. This helps balance the glucose in the blood and
will help determine how much insulin is needed. Diabetics need to
pay careful attention to their diets, exercise, and blood sugar levels
in order to stay healthy. Other factors that can affect the blood
sugar levels are stressed, periods of growth, dollars for infection,
and fatigue as well as their exercise and any changes in their
normal schedule. Type 1 diabetes is also called insulin-dependent
Type 2 diabetes or, non-insulin-dependent diabetes, is
different than Type 1 diabetes in one major way. In Type 2
diabetes, the pancreas does make insulin, we so it is not needed to
be taken separately, but sometimes, not enough insulin is made or
the cells ignore the insulin. Because of the sudden rise or fall in
blood sugar levels, people with this type of diabetes must also test
their blood several times daily and adjust their diets and exercise
accordingly. Insulin boosting pills help this type of diabetic
maintain consistent blood sugar levels. With good treatment
though, insulin levels can return to normal. This, however, does
not mean that you are cured. You will always have diabetes, but
normal levels shows that you are taking care of yourself. A good
diet, exercise, and weight loss can help improve the body’s use of
A good diet should include low-fat foods, moderate
amounts of protein, and lots of foods high in complex
carbohydrates, like beans, vegetables, and grains. Exercise helps
the body take in glucose. Exercise also lowers glucose levels and
plays a major part in treatment. Losing weight is also a major part
in treatment. It can also help the body to use insulin more
efficiently. The best way to lose weight is to maintain a good
exercise program and a healthy eating plan.
If a healthy diet is not kept up, then life-threatening
complications may arise. These life-threatening complications
include: blindness; heart attack; kidney failure; stroke; nerve
damage; and amputation.
People with diabetes can live a normal, regular life by keeping track
of their blood sugar levels. The average life span of a diabetic is 15 years
less than people that are not diabetic. This does not mean that they
cannot live a normal life. If a diabetic takes care of themself by
exercising and eating right, then their life can be just as happy as anyone
- Diabetes Essay, Research Paper Diabetes mellitus is a group of diseases characterized by ... NIH is involved in research to cure both type 1 and type 2 diabetes, ... diabetes, then the research is, in essence, wasted. The Diabetes Gene Type I diabetes is what is ...
- Diabetes Essay, Research Paper Diabetes is a very grave and serious disease ... leg amputations is 27.7 times greater for a person with diabetes. Each year, 54 ... ,000 people lose their foot or leg to diabetes. Diabetes is ...
- Treatment Of Diabetes Essay, Research Paper Diabetes mellitus is caused by a deficiency in ... There’s type I, which is insulin-dependent diabetes mellitus (IDDM), and type ... chromosomes, showing that type I diabetes is a multigene autoimmune response. Some ...
- Diabetes Essay, Research Paper Diabetes This disease is caused by defective carbohydrate metabolism. ... half are undiagnosed. A diabetic that is treated life span is lowered by one ... and strokes in diabetes too. Type II This type is found in ...
- Diabetes And Types Essay, Research Paper Diabetes Diabetes is little or no ability to ... diabetes is gestational diabetes and how exercise can help control diabetes. This paper discusses type 1 diabetes ...