Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Beowulf- A Noble King Essay, Research Paper
Beowulf ? A Noble King
The epic poem Beowulf describes the noblest king of the Anglo-Saxon times, Beowulf. Beowulf is a man who demonstrates all the good qualities of a king, this can be seen by just looking at what he has accomplished. Beowulf is a man who was loyal, powerful, and charitable.
Beowulf was loyal to his promises and his country. When he decides to kill Grendel for King Hrothgar he doesn?t back down even after the stories he?s heard. After he has killed him the Danes still need him, so he kills Grendel’s mother. He was very dedicated to what he did and he never gave up. ?We crossed the sea to come here; it is time to return, to go back to our beloved lord, Higlac.? (1818-1820). After he has killed the monsters and earned glory he knows he must go back to his country, because that is where he belongs and who he represents. Towards the end he proves his love for the Geats when he faced the fire-blowing dragon. Deep down he knows this will be his last fight, but he does it for the good of his country,
A noble king has also got to be powerful something which he proves by killing numerous times. Beowulf is strong enough to kill Grendel, who has been terrorizing the Danes for a long time, by using only his hands and ripping off Grendels arm. Defeating Grendel, he shows that a man, without armor and weapons, can defeat evil in any form. When Beowulf is fighting Grendel’s mother, who is seeking revenge on her son’s death, he is able to slay her by slashing her neck with a sword that can only be lifted by a person as strong as Beowulf. When Beowulf fights the fire- blowing dragon he knows this will most likely be his last battle, nevertheless he doesn?t give up. With a little help from his cousin he kills it. ?And Beowulf drew his battle-sharp dagger: the blood-stained old king stll knew what he was doing. Quickly, he cut the beast in half, slit it apart. It fell, their courage had killed it . . .? (2702-2706).
Beowulf was a very charitable man. He gave treasure whenever possible.
?Beowulf has brought his king horses and treasure-as a man must . . . And Beowulf gave Welthow?s gift, her wonderful necklace, to Higd, Higlac?s queen . . .? (2165/2172). This demonstrates that after he got the treasures for killing Grendel he went back to his country and gave them the treasures that were his. After he had became king he gave his men treasures, armor and swords. These were all gifts to them because they said they would always stand up for him and their country. ?Then that brave king gave the golden necklace from around his throat to Wiglaf, gave him his gold-covered helmet, and his rings, and his mail shirt, and ordered him to use it well . . .? (2809-2813). He gave his most precious belongings to his cousin when his death was near.
Beowulf is the prime example of a noble king. His bravery and strength surpass all mortal men. He gave all that he could for his people. There could not have been a more nobler man or king than Beowulf. He achieved glory very early on in his life. He set a noble example for all human beings, relating the necessity of brotherhood and friendship.
- Beowulf The Epic Hero Essay, Research Paper Beowulf the Epic Hero What ... noble birth. Meaning that the hero had to be either a king ... the fact that Beowulf was of noble lineage and that he ... wise old king, says that Beowulf would make a great king in the ...
- Beowulf And Gilgamesh Comparison Essay, Research Paper Common Characteristics Galore All authors, ... power in a kingdom. Gilgamesh is king of Uruk, a section of ancient ... of the word. Beowulf is a very strong and noble character. He is ...
- Beowolf Compared To Superman Essay, Research Paper The epic poem Beowulf describes the most heroic man ... ?s welfare before his own. Beowulf’s uncle is king of the Geats so ... wide-spread fear. He set a noble example for all human beings ...
- Beowulf And His Virtues Essay, Research Paper Beowulf: A Moral Man Amongst Men ... Grendel, but Hrothgar knew Beowulf would fulfill his promise. ... death. Beowulf was one of the most noble and moral ... late king. This honorable funeral justifies the way Beowulf lived ...
- Beowulf Is Like Christ Essay, Research Paper In the story Beowulf, the main character, Beowulf, is ... goes on to tell of Beowulf s noble characteristics. Throughout the story the ... tell of Beowulf s Christ-like characteristics. For example, Hrothgar, king of the ...