Главная > Реферат >Остальные работы
Problems caused by mercantilism for the american
Essay submitted by deanna dunker
According to the theory of mercantilism, the colonies only existed to serve the
interests of Britain. But it seemed as if Britain was abusing their right over the colonies.
They enforced many policies such as the Stamp Act, the Townshed Duties, and the
Tea Act which caused many problems for the colonists. One problem that the colonists
faced was the Stamp Act of 1765. This act imposed a new tax on legal documents,
newspapers, playing cards and dice. The Americans did not agree with it. It was not
the cost of the stamp that angered them, it was the principle. They had no say in what
the British Parliament did. The tax provoked a fire storm of protests, and the boycotting
of British goods began. Some colonists did not limit their protests to words. In several
cities, groups of people attacked officials who defended British policy. The Stamp Act
was not a good idea, and one year later it was repealed. But that wasn’t the end. The
Townshed Duties posed as another difficulty. These duties required the colonists to pay
minor import duties on tea, lead, oil, papers and painter’s colors. Since Britain had
imposed unnecessary taxes on the colonies before, this was not new. John Dickinson
encouraged protesters to join in the battle by writing the first twelve “Letters from a
Farmer in Pennsylvania”. Protests began once again and cut British trade in half. Britain
sent troops to be stationed in Boston to enforce the Townshed Duties, and the
colonists refused to quarter the troops. The Townshed Duties were repealed in 1770,
three years after it began. And three years after that, a new act arose. Parliament
passed the Tea Act in an attempt to save the East India Company from bankruptcy and
reassert its right to tax. A group of Boston patriots destroyed a shipment of tea in a
protest known as the Boston Tea Party. Residents threw the cargoes of several ships
into the harbor. The pattern of events between 1763 and 1775 by the British
complicated the lives of the colonists, but didn’t last long. The polices that were
enforced were often protested and then repealed. Soon after, the colonies broke free
from Britain’s rule, and no longer had to put up with tyrannical rules from their previous
- ... The American Revolution was started basically because of problems with the British economy. The ... Mercantilism caused more and more poverty in both France, and America. During the American ... America needed a government for the people, and by the people. He later ...
- ... can be beneficial, they can also cause many diverse problems. This ... the American Peace Commissioners the acceptance by Spain of the terms of the United States, accompanied by ... our unquenchable craving for new markets to practice mercantile business with, ...
- ... the colonies. These problems were some of the causes of the Revolutionary War. The ... the colonies by using the mercantilism system. Mercantilism is when The state directs all the ... taxes would be used to pay for British officials in the American service. ...
- ... the same cause, and that was winning the war. Since the war the ... mixed with mercantilism, the second stage ... for other reasons such as famine, political and economic problems and the ... The American Dream is alive and well with Korean Americans, as proven by the ...
- ... “corporate mercantilism.” Remember that ... the question. For a very large part, probably a considerable majority, of the American ... the U.S. is one of the fastest growing industries. Yes. The U.S. has by far the ... what caused the economic problems. The country ...